Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Golden Ratio: Design Biggest Myth (Read 2,386 times)

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Golden Ratio: Design Biggest Myth
May 20th, 2015 at 6:14pm

Found this interesting article on the Golden Ratio.  I know a lot of turners, artists and designers think it's the basis for great design.    I like the comment that it is a fine rule of thumb.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Golden Ratio: Design Biggest Myth
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2015 at 6:34pm

The Golden Rule is a standard rule that really does work for good aesthetic balance in design.

Of course while that may be rule  number 1... rule number 2 is to ignore rule number 1 whenever necessary. Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2015 at 7:39pm

So the guy that wrote this is neither an artist or mathematician.   Once again just because it is on the internet does not make it true.  By the way it is ok to make an object that does not follow the golden mean as long as you do it on purpose to express what you are trying to say with your art.  The principles and elements of design are there as guides and one should have a good working knowledge of them to be an artist or a good craftsperson for that matter.  Most of the wood turners I have met don't have a clue about any of it.  The pieces just happen.  Some better then others.  As a hobbyist it really does not matter as long as you are happy with what you create.  Advancing to the national or international stage is quite another matter.  Enough...............

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2015 at 8:39pm

I find this an interesting article. To quote the author "It's bullxxxx."

When I make things that i really like and others do also, I find the approximate the ratio.  When I see things I find naturally appealing, to me, they also do.

With that said I agree with Larry.  It is not rule. and there is no rule against breaking it.  I think it was Picasso who said; "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist."

Cheers. (I am not going to argue with Pablo)   Grin

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2015 at 9:29pm

From my own experiences, I find the point that Yves Béhar made to be the most accurate.
"It's important as a tool, but not a rule."
Just like any tool, it's only going to be as good as the person operating it, understand it's capabilities and limitations and then use it wisely.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2015 at 8:21am

I don't hold much credence in Mr Brownlee's Op-Ed

Yes it is a rule of thumb that is not carved into stone. Every art and architectural student learns how to apply the golden rule and the artistic ones learn how far they can bend the rule.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mr Brownlee Quote:
In plain English: if you have two objects (or a single object that can be split into two objects, like the golden rectangle), and if, after you do the math above, you get the number 1.6180, it's usually accepted that those two objects fall within the golden ratio. Except there's a problem. When you do the math, the golden ratio doesn't come out to 1.6180. It comes out to 1.6180339887... And the decimal points go on forever.

Mr Brownlee need a life
Quote:
John Brownlee is a writer who lives in Somerville, Massachusetts with two irate parakeets

Edited:
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2015 at 11:06am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Gary Hostetter
WR Addict

Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania, USA
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2015 at 2:25pm

No rules in my shop.... lol  I do what my head and hands work out, and it seems to work pretty well...

VFW (Life member)
American Legion (Life member)
NRA (Life member)
Zembo Shriners

IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2015 at 8:19am

I try to live by the golden rule.  As to the Golden Mean there appears to be many instances in nature where that ratio can be found.  However, as Ron implied, it should not limit one's design judgement.  I have seen a lot of poor design justified by stating that it follows the Golden Mean (like "form follows function").  Good art and design are visceral, based on an understanding of form, proportion color and materials, not based on some mathematical formula.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2015 at 9:06am

Well said Eric

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2015 at 4:47pm

This is a great discussion.  I had a design professor tell us basically what's been said.   He said learn the "rules"  then you'll know how to break them and still have good design.   

I used to do bonsai and was active online and in the local club.  My biggest problem with it was that you HAD to follow the rules to make "good" bonsai.  Bonsai people are so into the Japanese tradition that if you don't follow "THE RULES" then you aren't doing bonsai.  Thankfully about 20 years ago a few artists from Europe challenged that thought and produced what they call naturallistic bonsai.  The result, little trees that look more like trees in nature rather than a stylized vision of a tree.  I think they still catch flack from the purists and old timers.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2015 at 4:56pm

If you don't think out of the box it means you are stuck in a box.

IP Logged

Dave Buckwalter

WR Rocks and rolls!

Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA
Lititz
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2015 at 7:40pm

Amen!

Still trying to convince my wife that wood turning shavings is clean dirt!!

IP Logged

John Normoyle

WR Rocks!

Manchester, Tennessee, USA
Manchester
Tennessee
USA

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2015 at 10:02am

You could try this exercise.  Take 2 pieces of pine (because it is cheap)  and make 1 bowl following the golden ratio, with the other piece make a bowl however you want. Both bowls need to be designed for the same purpose (utility, art, for your 3 year old to grab say "mine" and knock it around the house Cheesy)
Now spray paint them solid black (any colour will work as long as you can't see the grain pattern), mark them so you know which is which but your friends wont know.  Now show both of them to your family and friends.  Keep track of which one gets more likes. 

As others have said you don't have/need to follow/conform to the golden ratio. It does give a starting point in design, at least for me.

Happy turning

If you don't have time to do it right, why do you have the time to do it twice?

IP Logged

Alan Hollar

WR Rocks!

Newland, North Carolina, USA
Newland
North Carolina
USA

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2015 at 7:45am

I only ever had 2 half day lessons, being an autodidact at heart, but those lessons taught me the most about how to consider my work as art.  One of his lessons was the flat black lacquer test.  If the form doesn't work without the aid of color and figure, then it is a poor form.  Texture, color and figure should enhance good form, not sub for bad form.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - May 26th, 2015 at 10:52am

Alan Hollar wrote on May 26th, 2015 at 7:45am:
Texture, color and figure should enhance good form, not sub for bad form.

Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print