WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
I Need Help Pricing
Mar 2nd, 2016 at 8:42pm

A friend of mine, who knows I’m a woodturner, manages a restaurant and plans to remodel and hang pieces from local artists on the wall. She asked me to make something and I agreed to, even though I don’t consider myself an artist.

I offered her two pieces and she wants both. So, the first pieces I’m selling are also commissioned pieces and I have no idea how to price either.

The first one is a 9.5” X 1.5” poplar platter which I plan to dye two colors.  The blank is from a piece of poplar 8’X11”X3” board I purchased at a lumber wholesaler. I don’t remember what I paid for it, but it was cheap for an 8 foot piece.

The other piece is a flaming box elder bowl 5” in diameter and 3” deep and I intend to finish it with WOP. The blank I got free.

Any ideas on price? I don’t want to cheat either one of us and I have no idea what to price either one. My wife suggested $40 for the platter, but that seems a little high to me.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2016 at 8:44pm by Joe Penn »  

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Re: I Need Help Pricing
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 11:41pm

Joe, as you have indicated pricing is always a tough thing to determine.  There are several factors that have an impact on what to charge.  The two most important as a starting point are: 1) where you live/sell and 2)your level of skill.  When I started selling my work I charged about what you have indicated.  However, as my skills improved and my work became more requested my prices increased.  Right now, my base price for bowls and platters is $12 per diameter inch.  My HF base price is $15 per inch of width plus height.  Increases in the base rate are based on any embellishments that I might add and wood characteristics (burl, exotic, etc.). Just so you know, my prices are probably in the low end up to the middle of the road when it comes to selling at some of the better known art fairs.

I would suggest that you look at some of the art fairs in you area and/or check with some of the wood turners in your area to see what they charge.  One of the things that I think is important is that you don't look at your pricing level and say, "This is just a hobby for me and I really don't need the money."  Just remember, if you don't value your work, no one else will.

Good luck, just know you'll be changing your prices as time goes on.

Steve

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 8:39am

Joe

If one can see sanding scratches, tearout, or feel dips and bulges in the inner or outer curves my suggestion would be not to sell them.  And clearly write on a label that the striking red color in flame box elder will quickly fade to a light brown in strong light.  First impressions can last for years.

In old posts on this forum you can find hundreds of pictures of turnings.  If yours look like many others I'd suggest you sell at a craft show, but if yours look like very few others a gallery-like setting might be appropriate. 

Pricing is a game.  As soon as the public sees turnings on display other turners will contact the site and offer their turnings for less, or for a higher commission, or both.  Again, only take the site your best work.  My suggestion is to look at other items for sale at that site and prices, and price yours accordingly.  That may be extremely challenging, but in large part you are competing against the other items on display, not on other turnings at other venues.  My two cents.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016 at 9:16am by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 9:47am

Steve\Don,

Thanks for the input and good advice. My situation is fairly unique I suppose since the two pieces are going to hang on the wall along with other things from other people and will not be for sale, just display. The friend intends to hang a number of hand-made pieces; paintings, crochet, yarn, etc. I won’t have time to visit any craft shows for info.

I’m not going to make a statement that I’m ready to display in the Smithsonian, but I would proudly put my name on either of these two pieces.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 6:57pm

I would give the pieces to her for display, and a remodeling gift.
I would also give her a stack of my business cards.
When a customer asks where she got the lovely pieces, she can give the customer the card.
Selling to friends can be tricky.

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 8:34am

John Cepko wrote on Mar 3rd, 2016 at 6:57pm:
I would give the pieces to her for display, and a remodeling gift.
I would also give her a stack of my business cards.
When a customer asks where she got the lovely pieces, she can give the customer the card.
Selling to friends can be tricky.

Thanks, a good idea.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2016 at 8:34am by Joe Penn »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print