WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Abilene Texas, USA
Abilene Texas
USA

jet
Wedgie Sled
Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:55pm

Hey guys, curious if anyone makes a wedgie sled, or are they all homemade?  I would love to try this but have no way of cutting the wedges.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Wedgie Sled
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:16pm

Most, if not all wedgie sleds are home made. There are plans and videos on the sire.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

To be clear do you need help with the sled itself or with the wedges ?
Wedgies are for sale also on the site.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:30pm

You can consider getting a couple of drafting triangles at Staples / Office Depot. They have 30/60/90 triangles and also 45/90 triangles. An inexpensive option for setting the segeasy sled.

IP Logged

Keith Jenkins
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Abilene Texas, USA
Abilene Texas
USA

jet
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:23pm

Hey thanks, I went to the seg easy site, and ordered the wedges, going to try and make the sled using corian left over from a counter top.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 8:22pm

Ed, I watched the video you posted above. Pretty great idea to me. Do you think it could be set up accurate enough to cut segments for a platter with no hole in the center or maybe just a 1/2" hole finally. Seems like it would need to be exactly 15 deg. each way to the table slot?
Geo.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:44am

George Stratton wrote on Aug 26th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
Pretty great idea to me. Do you think it could be set up accurate enough to cut segments for a platter with no hole in the center or maybe just a 1/2" hole finally.

Certainly accurate enough to leave only a small hole in the center, gluing all at once can be problematic with regards to getting all the 12 points to align perfectly at the center. if you don't want any hole (or gaps of any kind) you can use another method.

IMO the best way is to assemble a platter or solid base like you want, is to glue up sub-assemblies, not the entire thing all at once. For a 12 segment piece, I would glue up 4 assemblies of 3 segments. Each 3 segment assembly will be a total of 90 degrees. Everyone should be able to get a pretty good 90 degree angle using a square or something in their shop. What this method does, is to allow you to sand both sides of 90 degree segment/assembky to refine the point so that it's exactly even. Then glue up two halves, this way you have 2 half circles that you can sand and perfectly flatten (if needed).  Take the two halves, align the center points and glue to completion.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 12:46pm

So many ideas to learn on here. That one makes a lot of sense. Thanks Ed. My wife is asking for a 3 tier platter.
Geo.

IP Logged

Keith Jenkins
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Abilene Texas, USA
Abilene Texas
USA

jet
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 5:26pm

Hey guys thanks for all the info on where to get plans for the wedgie sled.  I had a friend with a CNC mill it for me out Corian that I had extra.  I have only used it for a test cut but really enjoy.  Thanks again for all the input.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 10:05pm

Good looking sled Keith, being made out of Corian it should last a long time.
Len

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 1:27pm

"Ed, I watched the video you posted above. Pretty great idea to me. Do you think it could be set up accurate enough to cut segments for a platter with no hole in the center or maybe just a 1/2" hole finally. Seems like it would need to be exactly 15 deg. each way to the table slot?"
Geo.

One thing to take into consideration when making a sled. If your going to attempt the challenge above, you need to have the fence rails far enough apart to get the extra width of a board between them for cutting on the second rail. For a platter you will need the two rails spaced at least equal to the radius of the bottom ring of the platter.
If we look at Keith Jenkins' sled above, the rails A & B are much too close, or appear to be, together for cutting the bottom ring of the platter in question.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print