Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from Jackson, MS area (Read 751 times)

Jeff OQuinn
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Madison, Mississippi, USA
Madison
Mississippi
USA

Harbor Freight 34706
Hello from Jackson, MS area
Nov 27th, 2017 at 6:06pm

I’ve always been a bit fascinated with wood turning, but never really had a good place to have a set of woodworking tools.  But we bought a house a couple years ago with a 3 car garage and recently I began watching wood turning videos again on You Tube.  She noticed, and is rather encouraging in my potential endeavor.  I think she wants me to begin making stuff so she can have more stuff.  I’m good with that.   Thumbs Up

So I am getting the HF 34706 for Christmas, along with a grinder, chisels, and probably a miter or table saw.  Depends on what is found.  But I have researched enough to know that I am firm on the 34706 due to price and a HF store 3-4 miles down the road.  The model looks like the right thing for a beginner without spending $500+ on just the lathe itself.  I didn’t want the smaller bench sitting one because it’s smaller and I will just wind up wishing I had gone a bit larger.

I hope to learn a lot here on this site between now and Christmas, and I look forward to showing everyone all the bowls and baseball bats I am about to make.

No seriously, I I have 4 kids that love cereal in the morning every morning, so bowls will be made.  I figure 8-12 should do.  Also, my youngest boy (just turned 9) loves baseball and would definitely like to help make his own bat.  Recommendations on wood for either project?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Re: Hello from Jackson, MS area
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 7:40pm

Hi Jeff,
I am also a new turner. I bought my HF 34706 last April.  I believe you are on the right track with this lathe.  Use a 20% or 25% coupon.  My lathe has done everything I have asked of it.  The main difficiencies are lack of reverse and too high of lowest speed. Keep in mind that you will need a chuck.  I bought the Nova G3.  They have been on sale lately for about $90.  Great chuck.  I also have the HF turning tools and they are not too bad, but see what the price difference is between those and the Benjamin's Best. I splurged and bought some Sorbys but still use some of the HF. 
Welcome and have fun making shavings.

IP Logged

Jeff OQuinn
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Madison
Mississippi
USA

Harbor Freight 34706
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 8:56pm

Thanks for the info.  Are the 20% coupons at HF an occasional thing?  I see online coupons but they seem equipment specific.

Any advice turning willow?  I have a scrap pile out back that I cut up from two that died a couple years ago,  been thinking what to do with it, but guess I know now.  The ends of each log are cracked, but they should be good if I cut off the ends maybe.  Two large trunk bases I might be able to do something with also.

This is the first Christmas in 30 years that has me beside myself with anxious. 

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 9:27am

Jeff, welcome aboard.  The HF coupon are in our paper every weekend.  You might check Google for Harbor Freight coupons and see what you get. 

As far as wood is concerned for the ceral bowls if you can find some cherry or maple they would work great. You want something with a tight grain so you will want to stay away from oak.  But for other uses like fruit bowls oak is fine.  For the bat you'll want to go with either ash or hickory.  You'll want the grain to be as straight as possible and without any voids or branches. 
Good luck and welcome to the vortex of woodturning. Grin

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 10:34am

What Jeff said about the HF 20% coupon is correct. They are pretty easy to find either in the paper or just google Harbor Freight coupon.  They always have a 20% coupon.  the 25% are harder to find.  $255 for that lathe is a good deal.  I have never turned willow. Since I have no patience, I have been buying kiln dried wood mostly.  I also practiced on some 2x6s for shallow bowls and they came out pretty good.  I would not use them for cereal.  Too small. I did a mini ball bat (16") out of pine that came out pretty good but you could not hit a ball with pine.  This was more for turning practice.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 11:34am

Jeff OQuinn wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 6:06pm:
No seriously, I I have 4 kids that love cereal in the morning every morning, so bowls will be made.  I figure 8-12 should do.  Also, my youngest boy (just turned 9) loves baseball and would definitely like to help make his own bat.  Recommendations on wood for either project?

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get many answers to your questions.
For a baseball bat, Ash is traditional, Maple is becoming more popular today along with birch. they all have their own pro's and cons.
For cereal bowls I would say it's wide open. Really as long as it holds milk it will work. I prefer a tighter grained wood like maple or walnut as opposed to something like oak. THat's just my preference.

IP Logged

Jeff OQuinn
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Madison
Mississippi
USA

Harbor Freight 34706
Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 12:18pm

I forgot to budget a good chuck.  Any recommendations on a store/brand?

IP Logged

Norman Evans
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Natchez, Mississippi, USA
Natchez
Mississippi
USA

Looking
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 2:51pm

Welcome Jeff. I to have looked at jumping into wood turning. I have done a little in the past. I am in Natchez,Ms. As you can see I only joined this weekend.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 7:55pm

Jeff, Great to have you with us.  Welcome.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print