peoria, Arizona, USA
peoria
Arizona
USA

Jet 1642
rubber bands
Feb 8th, 2020 at 3:32pm

Hi,
Where do you, that use rubber bands for clamps when gluing up segments,  buy your heavy duty large rubber bands? I usually use tape and surgical tubing but sometimes need stout rubber bands and as of yet haven’t found a good supply. Staples and such stores have some but are quite proud of them and they aren’t really very strong.     Thanks, Ed

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: rubber bands
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 5:15pm

I got mine from Sams Club
A 1lb bag of #64 bands (320) is $5.28, compared to places like Staples which are about $2 more for the same .

IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Addict

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 4:30pm

Staples Office supplies.

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

Mike smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rockler Mini lathe
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 7:56pm

Edgar Sims wrote on Feb 8th, 2020 at 3:32pm:
Hi,
Where do you, that use rubber bands for clamps when gluing up segments,  buy your heavy duty large rubber bands? I usually use tape and surgical tubing but sometimes need stout rubber bands and as of yet haven’t found a good supply. Staples and such stores have some but are quite proud of them and they aren’t really very strong.     Thanks, Ed

I am not too experienced in this, but I use big hose clamps and they seem to work better than rubber bands, especially for bigger pieces.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 8:52am

Mike smith wrote on Aug 8th, 2021 at 7:56pm:
I am not too experienced in this, but I use big hose clamps and they seem to work better than rubber bands, especially for bigger pieces.

Large hose clamps do work well but they have limitations. They seem to work best on "standard" rings where equal pressure is required around the circumference. Anything other than an equal circle and they don't perform as well
Rubber bands are more flexible as they can be used on virtually any shape, full rings, ring sections and sub assemblies.

IP Logged

gary hines

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 11:40pm

]I don't use rubber bands anymore. Too many pieces to juggle with wet glue. I make long strips of various colors-woods that establish the piece for the ring. I'm not into exotic designs. I have several rings  going at the same time. I cut the pieces  on a table saw. then I glue two pieces together- a hand pressure fit. I do not try to make a whole ring  in a day, but am making several partial rings doing the same thing.  So when there are the multiple two pieces set and ready, I repeat the process using two to make it four each and so on. When I reach the half way point and the glue is set, I sand the two pieces on my table saw against the fence to square. The table has a long strip of coarse sandpaper under the fence.  Then just glue the two halves together like the beginning with the two pieces. I make up multiple rings and run them through the small drum sander. I use Titebond 3 and a small artist brush to spread the glue, eliminates most of the excessive squeeze-out of glue.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2021 at 8:43am

I usually do it the same way as you Gary.  Thumbs Up
A "rub fit" is all that's needed. After an hour you can safely handle them enough to glue on another segment or section.
Making sub assemblies also gives you the opportunity to check alignment and adjust (with a little sanding) if necessary.

The who notion of gluing up a ring all at once is not really important. It can save some time but it can also causes irreversible problems. If something doesn't line up or moves during glue-up, your done.
Also, I don't like having to apply glue to too many surfaces for a single glue up. It always seems to get rushed and messy when you up against the set time of the glue.

IP Logged

Patrick Patterson

WR Rocks!

Cobden IL, Illinois, USA
Cobden IL
Illinois
USA

Grizzly G0462 and  Delta 46-460
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2021 at 1:37am

Having just experienced my first disastrous glue up using clamps I will be trying your method.  It really makes sense. 

Thanks,
Pat

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print