WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
For your tool box ED
Jun 4th, 2020 at 6:35pm

I would not want to carry these in my tool box to hang a neighbors door.  Shocked

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Re: For your tool box ED
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 7:08pm

Nice starter set! Roll Eyes

Everyone has 1 redeeming feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 9:20am

First of all I have to say, I think Robert may have just found the most overpriced tool
or is it art? Undecided

So if you break it down, they're only $420 a piece. That's ten easy monthly payments of $42. In a little less than a year you can own one chisel. In 8 years, 4 nonths, you'll have the whole set.
What a deal.

The only thing (and it's a big thing) is that IMO Japanese chisels have a major problem, a short lifespan compared to western chisels.
The hollowed back does serve a purpose but it also takes away from the amount of sharpening you can perform.
If you look at the one in the photo, it appears to only have about 1/8" of sharpenable steel before you get into to hollowed out portion.

All that being said, my birthday is coming up in a little over a month.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 1:04pm

Continuing on the theme
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Do you think the guy who bought one at full price is P-Oed  Roll Eyes Cheesy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 6:08pm

I found a toolbox for those chisels, now I just need to pick a color

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

They are priced at about $30,000

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 4:50am

I'm wondering if the bank would finance that toolbox for 72 months like a car?  Same on the plane and chisels!  I love tools, but not at prices like those noted.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:09am

I have my Dad's very old Snap on tool box.

I am 69 and I remember seeing it when I was a very young kid and visited him at the Ford dealership where he worked.

So, that makes it around the mid 50's.... apx 64 years old.

ALOT of character, if you know what I mean. Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 10:30am

I have an expensive (to me) Snap-On toolbox.
It cost about $2500 or a little more when i bought it, that was 30 years ago.
(I was working as a mechanic at the time)
The comparable one today is $13000

I still use mine every day but I know I would've worn out those chisels in that amount of time.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 10:40am

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 11:16am

Woodworking tool sellers have caught on to that sales model, I just don't know if the quality is there or a lifetime replacement warranty.
I have gotten tools replaced from Snap-On that I bought  over 20 years ago, no questions asked. That is one reason the price is at a premium.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with high priced tools, it overpriced for no good reason that bugs the heck out of me.
There's one for everybody, you decide.

For those woodworkers who care or are interested, Bahco (Sandvik) is owned by Snap-On Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Bahco makes many woodworking hand tools, the steel is good quality IMO

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 3:44pm

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 11:16am:
I have gotten tools replaced from Snap-On that I bought  over 20 years ago, no questions asked. That is one reason the price is at a premium.

This just occurred to me while I was "wrenching" today:  In the late 1960's I purchased a Cen-Tech 1/2" drive ratchet.   Cen-Tech was a Japanese company that sold its tools through J.C. Whitney (among others).    I've used that ratchet regularly over these roughly fifty years, including regularly using an extension pipe on it.   Still works great.    I have no idea what the ratchet originally cost me, but I know it wasn't much as I was a financially-strapped college student back then.    I wonder if a Snap-on ratchet would have lasted as long?

(Harbor Freight is now using the "Cen-Tech" name on some of their products.    I doubt that there's any connection to the original company as all the Harbor Freight Cen-Tech stuff seems to be made in China.)

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:10pm

Hard to say
I have had a few Snap-On things replace that have simply worn out, a few things that must have a manufacturers flaw in them and other items are still in the same working condition as when I bought them 25-30 years ago.
I also have some large combination wrenches 1' + and other various mechanics tools from companies that most people have never heard of that I still use today. It makes me wonder where they are now or what giant conglomerate bought them out.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:16pm

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 5th, 2020 at 9:20am:
The only thing (and it's a big thing) is that IMO Japanese chisels have a major problem, a short lifespan compared to western chisels.
The hollowed back does serve a purpose but it also takes away from the amount of sharpening you can perform.
If you look at the one in the photo, it appears to only have about 1/8" of sharpenable steel before you get into to hollowed out portion.

What is the purpose of the hollowed back ? Are all the chisels in this set made like the one turned over? Sorry to have to ask but I am not in the $400+ per chisel tool budget category and do not know of this type of chisel.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:22pm

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 5th, 2020 at 6:08pm:
I found a toolbox for those chisels, now I just need to pick a color

They are priced at about $30,000

Snap On tool boxes in the $15k range in the body shop I used to be acquainted with were considered low end. For the junk tools.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:25pm

Paul Haus wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 4:50am:
I'm wondering if the bank would finance that toolbox for 72 months like a car?  Same on the plane and chisels!  I love tools, but not at prices like those noted.

Maybe not the bank but the Snap On tool truck sales guy will finance anything Snap On sells. The techs usually pay so much a week when the truck stops at their shop.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print