WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
WOW!!! and Guitars
Feb 24th, 2021 at 2:26pm

Wasn't sure where to put this or if it even should be posted. No turning involved here.
Since at least two members mentioned they had guitars (Ralph and Robo), and we all appreciate nice wood, I thought I would post two of my guitars. The Lacewood Strat body was purchased finished but the ash with flamed maple top Tele was purchased unfinished and I did the finish with dyes and topped with Tru oil. Actually finishing guitars is what got me into turning. Seeing nice wood on guitars and then seeing what people did with similar wood in turning booths at art shows.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: WOW!!! and Guitars
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 3:05pm

Really nice!!!
My choice is the Lacewood!! Smiley

I mean, not as good as a hot pink Paisley, but it'll do. Shocked Grin Grin

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:15pm

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by Ed Weber.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:17pm

Nice looking axes

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:33pm

Those are really nice looking guitars.

Have you ever looked at the pictures of the guitars Shiraz Balolia, the owner of Grizzly Industrial, has made? They are on his companies website.

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 10:27am

Robert Hayward wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:33pm:
Those are really nice looking guitars.

Have you ever looked at the pictures of the guitars Shiraz Balolia, the owner of Grizzly Industrial, has made? They are on his companies website.

Yes I have seen them. I am amazed at some of these guys who make guitars from scratch. I have put together several but I do it from already manufactured wood. I do prefer unfinished wood so I can finish the way I want. Now if I only knew more than three chords.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 12:07pm

I remember hearing how one of Jeff Beck's favorite guitars had a bass wood body, which I think of as being very plain. It is all about resonance. I have one friend who made a few guitars, and he used cascara, which is a local wood, and seldom ever gets very big. He said it was all about the resonating qualities of the wood. Probably more so for acoustic than for electric. Maybe some day I will try to make one...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 1:32pm

robo_hippy wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 12:07pm:
He said it was all about the resonating qualities of the wood. Probably more so for acoustic than for electric

Yes and no.
With an acoustic you can get away with using wood of lower tonal quality for the back and sides, provided you use a quality wood for the top.
With an electric, (solid body) the body is the body. Vintage Fenders of Alder aren't very attractive as far as wood grain compared to a flame maple but you can't argue about the sound quality.
There is so much more that goes into it but you get my point.
Modern electronics can only help so much but can't do anything about the inherent tonal quality of a particular piece of wood.
Just as no two pieces of wood are the same, no two guitars will ever sound the same.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 3:14pm

Lots of discussion on wood sonic characteristics on the various guitar forums.  Maple vs rosewood necks are probably the primary topic of dispute. Then moves into single piece or multiple piece bodies. I have multiple electrics and for the most part I sound like "me" no matter if I am playing a mahogany, ash, alder or whatever.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 6:05pm

It's large area of discussion alright, most of the time with no real answers Grin
Everyone is different, even the composite ones.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 12:05pm

I remember seeing a You Tube video where some guy made several different guitar bodies out of different woods, including particle board, and he used an interchangable neck and pick up system. The purpose was to see what difference the body actually made. Can't remember all of it, but sustain was the biggest difference. Kind of surprised me. I would think with the modern electronics, that would be minimized, but apparently not.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 12:22pm

A couple of easy to read tonewood guides
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 11:51am

The guy who built my guitars tried to use some Mountain Mahogany for a fret board. That stuff just wouldn't hold still, but the color was fantastic, dark red. I did a long story about it and my adventure to find it (Quest for Mountain Mahogany), on SMC, I think, can't remember if I shared it here or not. Anyway, this stuff was growing at 8500 feet just north of Las Vegas. Very slow growing, very dense, very hard. Nothing more than 20 foot tall, and growth rings up to 100/inch. It is used for violin pegs, and for bridges on guitars, maybe for the nut for the strings.

robo hippy

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 11:02am

Missed this post before, so i thought i would add this to it. This guitar was made by my son a number of years ago when he had a cnc router set up in his garage for sign making. He tells me the top sounding board is from a piece of book matched, tiger striped and spalted maple. The back is machined out of redwood. He worked at DBZ guitars back then so that probably started him on this. He plays a little but mostly this just decorates a wall. Smiley

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 11:08am

Great piece of wood. Not personally crazy about the shape but I do think people should make unique guitars.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print