Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie__Maple-Epoxy Resin Vase (Read 440 times)

Justin Hill
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Newbie__Maple-Epoxy Resin Vase
Mar 21st, 2021 at 8:09am

I'm a newbie at woodturning.  But, I'm having a lot of fun.  Here is a video of one of my very recent projects.  Any pointers for improvement are much appreciated.  One problem I'm having is chip out with the resin.  Unless I am making some variation of a slicing cut.  I seem to be able to get a good cut with my roughing gouge.  And my carbides seem to work well in most cases as long as I have the speed up.  Bowl gouge I can't seem to use well with out resin chip out.  Let me know what you all think.  Thanks everyone!  Enjoy!

WWW https://m.facebook.com/JC-Woodworking-Traditions-1  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Justin Hill
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Re: Newbie__Maple-Epoxy Resin Vase
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 8:10am

Here is the link to the video.  I have posted it on YouTube.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:03am by Ron Sardo »  
IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:26am

That was a big undertaking for a newbie.  I do most of my resin turning with a detail spindle gouge and skew.  Slicing cuts are the way to go with resin.  My sphincter tightened up a little when i watched you part that through while between centers.  Your lucky you didn't take a shot to the face.  I would recommend parting part of the way in and then finishing the cut with a hand saw with the lathe off.  Take a tiny bit of pressure off the tailstock so you don't bind the saw.  Using a detail gouge will get you the silly string effect you see on most videos.  Not as big as yours but here is a video i did on my channel doing a burl / resin bottle stopper.  The spindle gouge technique can be used on larger detail gouges.  I used a 1/4 inch one in that video.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Justin Hill
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:03am

Thanks for the tips Chris!  I'll take your advice and apply it.  I definitely don't want to take a shot to the face (reason why I wear a face mask) and I don't want to risk damaging one of my pieces.  I'm going to try out the detailed spindle gouge on my next piece. 

Nice video by the way.  Very nice bottle stopper! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 1:19pm

I was going to comment on the 'nice catch' when you parted the two pieces. If I am doing that one, I have the base in a chuck. At the very least, a soft towel folded over a number of times so there is no denting....

Surprised at how you got clean cuts with the SRG. I have yet to try the epoxy turning. I do, at some time want to do spheres. The only show I do any more has many jugglers both as part of the entertainment and who come just for the fun of it. They love 'contact' juggling, which is rolling a sphere all over their bodies.... Would have to be very precise, and spheres need to be identical size and weight...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Justin Hill
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 9:09am

Thanks Robo!  Working with epoxy has been quite the learning process for me.  I learn something new every time.   Shocked I have never been able to juggle.  Making precision spheres sounds pretty tough!

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 11:09am

Well, it would take a lot of practice effort. It would take far less time for me now than it would have 20 years ago.... Had a class with Allen Batty some years ago. He told the story about turning billiard balls out of elephant ivory. It was a process that took a couple of years. Turn them down a hair, let them 'rest' then turn them down a hair again, and rest. Repeat till they reach perfect size.....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print