Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turning a plate or platter (Read 1,096 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Turning a plate or platter
Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:38pm

What is the best way to mount a thin board, about 1" thick, to turn a plate? I want to turn one that is the full size capacity of my lathe (12" dia). I figure I can glue it to a waste block and turn one side, the top. But how do you flip it over for the bottom, including a recessed decorative bottom base? Keep in mind I don't have a vacuum chuck and a 12" plate won't fit in a donut chuck.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:39pm by Curt Fuller »  

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Re: Turning a plate or platter
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:03pm

Try using a waste block about 2/3rds the diameter of the plate or so and use double sided tape.  Keeping the tailstock up for support.  just makes sure you mark a good accurate center point on the back side before you mount it on your intial waste block.  
    Actually, now that I think about it, Here is what I might do.  If the piece is square to begin with, I would mark centers on both sides and rough cut it round on my bandsaw.  I say rough cut but you will want to get it as close to the size you want and still be able to spin it on the lathe.  Next I would glue on a waste block but use the lath as my clamp between centers (there is a reason to use the drive and live center) and let it dry the way.
    After the glue has dried a bit go ahead and finish rounding the piece.  Round the waste block as well to a size that will fit in whatever chuck you want to use.  Let the glue dry completely and the mount the piece in your chuck for finishing the face/front/top of the plate.  
    When done with that, remove the plate from the chuck.  This next step can be done however you want.  I would use a faceplate and make me another wasteblock out of a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and make sure my plate top/front/face will fit on it completely and attach it to my faceplate, make sure it is smooth flat and round and cover that with double sided tape.  
     Remember when I said that there was a reason for using the drive center and live center earlier, well here is why.  To make the plate center much easier for turning the backside, move the tail stock up fairly close to the and place the back side of the plate (with the wasteblock still attached) onto the tailstock live center point.
    The dimple made by the drive center will allow you to more accurately center the plate.  Then using the handwheel on the tail stock gently move the plate towards the headstock and press it against the waste block with all the tape on it.  Keep the tail stock in place as long as possible.  When you eventually have to move it, the tape should be able to hold long enough to finish off the bottom nicely.
    You may have to do a bit of touch up sanding on the face of the plate but I don'tthink it will be too bad.
  If you decide to try it let me know how it works.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:08pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:18pm

I use either a 3" or 6" face plate, a piece of a paper grocery bag, and a waste block. Using Titebond II, or similar, glue the paper to the waste block and glue both to the piece you are turning so that the paper is between the waste block and the piece to be turned. The paper will allow the waste block to be removed w/out damaging the turned piece. This is a good thing Grin

How long are the screws? My face plate is just over1/4" thick and my waste blocks are 3/4" pine or fir. I use 1" screws.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 8:06pm

Curt, you said that you want the bottom to have a recess.  Glue your waste block to what will be the top, turn the bottom including the recess that just happens to be of such a size that you can mount it on your chuck in expansion mode.  Problem solved.  Do your sanding, flip it over, turn the top, sand it.  Lay the finish down and your done. 

That's one way.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 8:33pm

I have followed Rev's way in the past and it has worked great

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 9:09pm

This is my method which doesn't use a waste block. At least its the method I was taught.
Mount your stock between centers. Turn a tendon on the tail stock side. This will be the top of the plate. You don't need to shape it just yet all you want is a tendon for your chuck. Once the tendon is cut, attach your chuck and reverse the plate griping the tendon you just cut. Your now going to shape the bottom of your plate. Make the shape you want making the bottom flat. Here is where you will want to cut a recess tendon ( sorry I forgot the correct term, it's a recess that you cut so you can use your chuck and expand the jaws so they are press outwards against the recess you just cut). I have heard a recess of only a 32nd but I have cut my a little deeper. You'll be surprised how well it will hold.  Once your outside or bottom of the plate is shaped, reverse the plate again, this time you will finish the top of the plate. Remember to take light cuts since you will only be holding the plate using the jaws in a expanding mode.  Continue with your cuts until you have the desired shape. You can use cole jaws to clean up the bottom or just sand it by hand. Apply your finish and your done.  I hope that is clear if not I can take some photos and post them if you want.

I see Rev was posting while I was typing this...

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 9:37pm

That's ok, Jimmy.  Looks like we were thinking along the same lines.  My only thought with what you are saying is that the original blank is only 1" thick.  I have a bad habit of going too thin in the bottom if I don't have plenty to start with.  A waste block gives me the starting thickness that I need for peace of mind.

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 9:52pm

That's what keep it fun...  and Yes I have gone through the bottom of several Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 10:10pm

Thanks everyone. Lots of good ideas. It sure doesn't take long for an answer here.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 3:45am

That is similiar to how I have done small trivits and coasters. I actually used a screw center, but only about a 1/4 inch deep, then turned the bottom recess.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print