Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TAW Scholarship Advice (Read 630 times)

jprosise

TAW Scholarship Advice
Jan 26th, 2006 at 2:25pm

Yesterday, I was informed that I have been awarded a $500 woodturning educational scholarship from my local club.  I feel so lucky and honored! Grin The scholarship is to be used at any woodturning school and then I am to file an article for our newsletter outlining what I learned or provide a demo to the group relative to what I learned.  There are several relatively close to my area.  They include: Appalachian Center for Crafts in Smithville, TN, Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gattlinburg, TN, and John C. Campbell Folk School in North Carolina.  MY QUESTION IS THIS:  Have any of you taken a week long workshop at any of these schools?  If so, could you share your experience?  Is there another school that I should be considering?  I have the flexibility to use the scholarship at any facility.  Any help you folks could offer will be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks, Jerry

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Re: TAW Scholarship Advice
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2006 at 3:06pm

Jerry
  I have not personally gone to any of them but recently I went to a meeting of the local woodturning club here in Oklahoma and oneof their members has gone to Arrowmont several times and he raves about it.  I think he even goes back to assist now and then.  Don't know if it means anything but I thought it might be pertinant.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2006 at 4:42pm

First off Jerry, congratulations on the scholarship!  What a deal!

You're very lucky to be within a short distance of so many places to spend that money.  I have not had the pleasure of taking classes anywhere, so sorry, no direct help from me.  But from all the forum reading I've done, any of the schools you mention can offer you a fine education.  I would decide whether I wanted to solidify an existing skill or take on something new, then see which school offers that course. 

Either way, let us know what you decide.  I'm sure you're in for a grand time.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2006 at 4:53pm

Conrats Jerry!!

Here are a couple other options.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2006 at 7:22pm

Don't know anything about ACC, but the other two have most excellent reps.  You also have many of the "names" who are AAW teachers.  You can look in the book to get their contact information.  Outside of Atlanta, GA is Terry Daniel.  PA has both Bill Gumbine and David Ellsworth.  So many others are possable.  Get the book out, follow a few links on the internet, have some fun as you study and make your decision. 

Congratulations     8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print