Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Found Wood:
Jan 28th, 2006 at 9:23pm

As luck would have it someone at work told me about some trees that were being cleared. I pass by there on the way home from work, so Thursday I pulled into the lot and got some nice pieces. Pecan or elm, it's a light colored wood and green.  When I woke up this morning I found I also got some poison ivy, or poison something.  I'll be going to the doctor to get this taken care of. How to I rid the wood of it?  Can I take it to a hand car wash and using the high power washer just rinse down the logs??  I don't what to get this again when I start to turn the stuff...

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Re: Found Wood:
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 9:34pm

Jim, #2 diesel fuel rubbed on the area and left for 5 min. and then washed off w/soap and water will get rid of it. No, you don't have to put a match to the fuel.  Shocked However, I'd suggest that you avoid physical contact w/wife/girlfriend/whatever until you wash it off. Grin

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 9:36pm

dude, unless you have it ALL OVER, going to the doctor is a waste of cash!!

Calamine lotion works ok, but the best thing in the world to kill poison whatever is CLOROX bleach.

just apply it straight out of the bottle to the affected area three or four times a day, and in a couple of days, it will be gone.

Trust me, being an avid hunter, and fisherman, i deal with it all the time, and never go to the doctor for it.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 10:00pm

A good antihistamine will help relieve the itching.  I used to get a good case every year when I was doing tree work back in NJ.  Then it wouldn't bother me for 5 or 6 months.

A bleach rinse should lessen the oil on the logs, but will not eliminate it.  DO NOT burn it, the smoke will carry the oil to your lungs.  You should also wash everything you were wearing in HOT water .  Do not mix with your underwear.  The oil is very easy to transfer to other clothes and people.

JimQ
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2006 at 10:04pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Woodchip

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 6:16am

I used to get it the same way Jim did. Doing tree work. There's nothing like being 30 feet off the ground getting ready to top a tree and realizing that there is poison ivy growing among the english ivy in the tree you just climbed. Bees and hornets were always good fun too.

I always used a product called Tecnu. It will clear up poison ivy in a jiffy. Makes calamine lotion look like water. The only place I have been able to find it lately is from Duluth Trading Company. Kinda pricey, but a 16 oz bottle will last a long time.

To get the stuff off of the wood itself, I would pour straight bleach on it and let it dry. Then do it again three or four more times. The oils from poison ivy are wicked hard to get rid of. Make sure you get in all the nooks and crannies of the bark. An alternative would be to just remove the bark altogether. The poison ivy residue will go away with it. Do not use something to remove the bark that makes dust. If you breath it in you will be in for a miserably time. Take the bark off by hand. Obviously, doing it now while you already have poison ivy would be the best time, wear long sleeves, gloves and the wash up in hot-as-you-can-stand soapy water and launder everything you were wearing.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

Tom&&&&

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 7:31am

IMHO any wood that involves itching, scratching, scabs, clorox, or doctor visits is neither pecan or elm, it's Leaverite wood. Leaverite where it's laying!

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:01am

Remove the bark (?) or toss it.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 11:04am

Toss it....NOW!!!

Is that the final answer?

(yep)

Found wood?  Found problem...
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2006 at 11:05am by kidcolombia »  

JIM

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:20pm

Hmmm..  So I guess using a high power car wash is a waist of time. I would have thought the detergent and the high power would have worked.  I'll see how hard it might be to strip the bark off.  The bark is real rough to getting to all the nooks and cranneys will be tough, unless I use a sprayer of some sorte.

I did get that stuff Tom mentioned, Tecnu. Last time I got this (9-10 years ago) the Doc gave me a cortisone shot that fix me right up.  We'll see how this works.

Thx guys !!!

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 7:45am

Driving home I found a new stash in front of a house.  The lady said I could have all I want, Pecan, Elm, maybe some plum.  And it clean  (Unlike me yet....itch...itch) Tongue

That old stuff is out on the curb good riddance!!!  what a pain Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 1:36pm

Did you put a note on it, telling the pick-up crew that it has poison ivy on it?

IP Logged

dreamer

anyone seen my lathe

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 2:55am

If you ever get poison ivy again use accetaline torch with out liting it and the accetaline will kill the itch and the poison ivy rashes.sound weird ,but works instantly.had old man tell me this and didn,t beleive him till i tried it and it worked

IP Logged

mnt.jeremy

try again.( words which
I have heard alot)

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 7:52am

I can look a poison oak and get it. I know where you come from. Doctor? very big waste of money. if you have just been exposed I stand in the shower and let my wife rub bleach where ever I think it is and wait a few min. them shower> not bath.
    As far as the wood throw it away or, protect yourself and turn it, then treat with straight bleach.
   Technu is a great product for poison anything, sometimes I feel like I have stock in the company. I think the clear gels work the best. I keep it spring summer and fall wide. just deal with it...lol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print