Matthew Little

WR Rocks!

Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Louisville
Kentucky
USA

Finewoodworking.com
Nov 14th, 2012 at 10:18am

Has anyone subscribed to this online website? I have seen some sample instructional videos and it seems pretty good. Thought about shelling out the cash for a subscription. My plan is to craft a round tripod table with a turned post, hand carved feet at the bottom, and a book matched tabletop cut round on the band-saw. I just don't have much flat work experience.

What do you all think? smiley=dankk2.gif

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Finewoodworking.com
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 12:12am

I check out my Dad's hard copies when I visit with him, but have not even looked at the site.  I suspect it is not much more than an online copy of the mag.  A few good articles, but not much for turners.  They do have some good plans and projects from time to time though.  If you're just looking for another source of inspiration, then it would probably be worth your time and the $'s it costs.
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:05am

I have subscribed to their online site for years and do find it worth the money.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

steve rost

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 9:08pm

I subscribed to it when they first began publishing. Maintained my subscription for 10-15 years, learned a lot, back then they catered to high end work and technical expertise.  Thru the years they had to survive and began to "water-down" their articles to attract a more diverse group of readers.  Their online service does the same, give it a couple of years, you will learn, but then you will get bored and want more!   my two cents

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

steve rost

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 3:06pm

I feel compelled to add a footnote to my above rant.  I hope I did not kill this topic by my negative comments.  As you can tell I was not pleased when they went to appealing to the masses.  I complained long and hard to deaf ears.  My good comment is along with the Rev. that you will be introduced to the many facets of woodworking.  You can then choose which dicipline you want to follow.  Be careful who you choose to me mentored by, the world is "full of professionals".....

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print