Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
waterproof finishes (Read 1,220 times)

Thomas R. Zack

WR Rocks!

waterproof finishes
Apr 6th, 2014 at 12:54pm

Are the finishes made from Blo,DNA and shellac very water proof or resistant. I'm looking for a finish for a fishing rod handle which might be exposed to lots of moisture. Something other than the basic polyurethane.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: waterproof finishes
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 1:56pm

I would not expect a shellac-based friction polish (BLO + DNA + shellac) to be especially water-resistant.

Another recipe for friction polish is DNA + lacquer + lacquer thinner) is probably more water resistant that the shellac version.  It's also probably a tougher finish.

Frankly, for water resistance, I don't think you can beat polyurethane.  That's one of the reasons it is commonly used as a floor finish.

Louie

IP Logged

Thomas R. Zack

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 1:59pm

Thanks Louie.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 2:06pm

My wife decided she wanted one of my 'prized' bowls to be a flower pot.
I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy, thinned it down with some DNA.
I poured this mixture on the inside of the bowl, and spun the bowl around by hand to cover the inside.
I kept spinning the bowl slowly until the epoxy stopped running, and let it cure fr a day or so.
Then I drilled a few holes in the bottom, and coated the bare wood with more epoxy.

That was a long way to say epoxy might work, or maybe CA.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 7:35pm

-  Chinese junks were waterproofed by many applications of tung oil.
-  Wooden boats in the states were sealed with a marine varnish, spar varnish is similar. Both have a high percentage of BLO
-  Historically, gunstocks were finished with BLO.

What all of these have in common is they contain a high quantity of resins and oils. Once you add DNA and/or shellac you thin out the finish making it less water resistant

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Thomas R. Zack

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 7:37pm

Thanks for the I do Ron.

IP Logged

Jeff Gilfor

WR Rocks!

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Tampa Bay
Florida
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 7:29am

+1 to what Ron said.

Also, there are monasteries in Thialand, made totally of Teak, and finished with tung oil, that have been standing through year after year of monsoon seasons for the past several hundred cycles without falling apart.

Just so you know though, of the "quick and easy" finishes, you can't get much more water resistant (no such thing as waterproof wood... sorry) than shellac. Just not the most wear resistant of finishes (unless you add hardeners).

Modern two part epoxy finishes or poly based floor finishes whould work well in "wet" environments too.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2014 at 7:30am by Jeff Gilfor »  

"Wood dosn't hit back"... usually.

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 11:59am

check online..there's a specialty varnish used by most makers of handcrafted fishing rods....one i know uses spar varnish however....

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 5:58pm

I think the  stuff  Tim is referring to is a epoxy used to  cover   the  thread wraps on  fishing  rods.  Check Mudhole tackle .com  and look at  "thread Master" wrapping epoxy.  it's one of the  tougher  thread epoxies out there.  I  coated the  inside of a   shaving bowl  with it  back in  December.  so far it's  held up to  daily  use.  If you want to  go   varnish  then  I would look at Epifranes boat varnish.  a lot of  guys use it on bamboo fly rods.  straight out of the can  the stuff is as thick as  honey I've used it   but thinned it  about 10%

IP Logged

Lyle Mead
WR Noob

IYAAYAS!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Thailand

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 10:39pm

I believe that Louie mentioned something about using lacquer as a Friction polish.  Has anyone else tried this?  What ratio of DNA, Lacquer and thinner were used?  How quickly between coats and it be reapplied.

I have yet to find any BLO here locally (Thailand), but I am open to other suggestions for making my own friction polish.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 7:06am

Lyle Mead wrote on Apr 8th, 2014 at 10:39pm:
I believe that Louie mentioned something about using lacquer as a Friction polish.  Has anyone else tried this?  What ratio of DNA, Lacquer and thinner were used?  How quickly between coats and it be reapplied.

I have yet to find any BLO here locally (Thailand), but I am open to other suggestions for making my own friction polish.

The formula I use is equal quantities of lacquer, BLO and lacquer thinner.  And you could substitute another drying oil - Tung oil or Walnut oil.  I apply on the lathe using toilet tissue or paper towel, buff at high speed, and then apply another coat almost immediately.  The final finish is a nice soft gloss.

Eric Anderson uses a commercial butcher block conditioner (mineral oil + beeswax) combined with shellac to make a friction polish.  He adds some additional DNA to make it flow better.  I've made a similar version using a commercial orange oil + wax furniture finish combined with shellac.  This also gives nice results - a bit more gloss than the lacquer FP.

Louie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print