Ed Gallop

WR Rocks!

Stuart, Virginia, USA
Stuart
Virginia
USA

Ready for Chess...
Apr 7th, 2015 at 10:25pm

I recently started practicing turning chess men (knight first) and am ready to start turning a set. I first thought maybe cocobolo and olivewood or canarywood but after calculating the cost have not decided yet. After considerable thought I think I'll have more problems with the board construction than the men. Not sure which is the best way to approach making it. Anyone here have any advice? Also, I know how oily cocobolo is and not sure stabilizing will help. What wood would you use, keeping the board and men the same?

Ed Gallop  
IP Logged

Michael Kratzer
WR Noob

WR Rocks! If its not broke
then I'm not done

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Bloomsburg
Pennsylvania
USA

Re: Ready for Chess...
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 11:14pm

I have made 2 sets both out of walnut and American holly they turned out to be very nice sets. I have a set I'm going to start soon out of wendg and yellow heart because they go together well and both take a good finish. I hope it works out for you Chess sets are fun to make. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

michael kratzer  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 11:03am

Ed, Ive made many chess boards and there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
Some of this may sound very basic but you'd be surprised.
Fist you need to establish size, either the board or the piece. Pieces that are too big or too small for the board will detract from the overall look. Visit chess sites and you can easily find what size best fits what.
The board portion should have a good contrast, not necessarily black & white, but a good contrast.
As for board construction, wood choice is up to you, just be aware of the gluing properties of each species and act accordingly.
I follow the same method as David Marks, (his chess board can be found Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) but there are many instructions available on the web
Here are a couple of pics of variaous stages of completion.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Chess-4__600_x_450_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Chess-2__600_x_450_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Chess-1__600_x_450_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Chess-3__600_x_450_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 7:53am

Ed -- Cocobolo is not a wood that lends itself well to stabilization.  Dense woods (and rosewoods are dense - and cocobolo is a rosewood) take little resin.   The exception is if you have cocobolo with some decayed wood in it.  The decayed wood will take resin well.  The comparison is by weighing the wood before and after - 

Snakewood (or the plain grain version called letterwood) takes no resin at all

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 9:28am

Another thing about board construction is that it is typically glued to a substrate, like plywood. A substrate not only adds stability but an enormous amount of glue surface over the relatively small amount used to hold the squares together. As you can see in my photo, the strips used for the squares start out thin, so what you are doing is essentially adding another layer of veneer to a plywood substrate.
Which brings us to cocobolo,
It's definitely possible but it can be a difficult wood to work with. being very oily, as Ken said, doesn't take adhesives well, potential for bleeding into adjacent woods. and more.
A thin piece (square) on a chess board that is glued on 5 sides and effectively caged between adjacent pieces will certainly help eliminate or at least reduce problems but it's a risk/reward situation only you can decide.
  Care must be taken when working with these types of woods.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 10:33am

Ed Weber wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 9:28am:
essentially adding another layer of veneer to a plywood substrate.

Its usually a good idea to add two layers of veneer, one on each side of the substrate. The bottom layer doesn't have to be fancy, plain old birch would be fine.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Gallop

WR Rocks!

Stuart, Virginia, USA
Stuart
Virginia
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 9:28am

Thanks to all for your good help. Cocobolo was one of my favorite when I started with pens but have ruled it out for chess. I do like the opposing grain in Ed Weber's #3 board. If I match men with board my choices are limited to finding the board and men sized wood. I'm going for the wood this weekend. I'm looking forward to the challenge and will post my results.

Ed Gallop  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 9:52am

Ed Gallop wrote on Apr 10th, 2015 at 9:28am:
I do like the opposing grain in Ed Weber's #3 board

The grain is running in the same direction on this board. It is Black Walnut & Curly Maple. The chatoyance of the maple gives it the illusion that it's running perpendicular but it's parallel.

IP Logged

Ed Gallop

WR Rocks!

Stuart, Virginia, USA
Stuart
Virginia
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 9:12am

Ed Weber wrote on Apr 10th, 2015 at 9:52am:
The chatoyance of the maple gives it the illusion that it's running perpendicular but it's parallel.

Cool.  I learned a new term, "chatoyancy", although aware of it's existence. The abrupt change in grain direction that cause light reflection to change is what happens to crosscut zebrawood in the round. It is the appearance of transparency on two sides that makes the pens so fascinating to me. I think I've found the light color for my board if I can locate it. I already decided on Black Walnut for the dark. Just hope I can find both. Thanks.

Ed Gallop  
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 10:00am

1 3/4 or 2" squares are typical for boards. I made mine from veneer that I had. It was cloth backed. Stack the veneer and constrain between layers of  1/2" plywood. I used screws around the outside to hold it together. Set the fence on TS to width wanted. Carefully saw the strips. Or lay out and cut with heavy sizors (sp). Paper cutter would work also.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 9:13pm

How about Walnut and Osage?

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 10:09am

Osage tends to turn brown. Would end up with 2 tones of brown, might look good.  Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print