Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skew chisels (Read 817 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Skew chisels
Jul 2nd, 2016 at 2:51pm

Hi, I am trying to learn the proper way to use a skew chisel. I think I understand most of the uses for the larger straight, angled profile but am not sure about what the smaller ones like 1/2" and 3/8" are best used for.
Are they used in planing cuts, bead cuts, etc?

Thank you

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Skew chisels
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 3:10pm

Bruce

One of the best people to explain the use of skews is Brian Havens.  He has a series of YouTube videos, the ost recent of which compares rectangular, oval and square skews.  But he also touches on small skews.  Here's a link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Louie

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 5:28pm

I use smaller ones when 1" won't fit between elements or at end of spindle close to metal.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 8:12pm

I have been doing what they say in the videos, practice, practice,practice with the skew. I must say that although it is a challenge to learn it produces some wonderful results. I have gone through a few 2X4s and some logs from my firewood pile just to get the feel. When I do it right I get a nice smooth cut. Just have to avoid the inevitable catch. A few more logs and I think I will be ready to try a real project using the skew.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 8:41pm

Your on the right track if you are comfortable getting fewer and fewer catches. The one thing I recently learned from Richard Raffan with regard to skews is to keep it sharp. I now have my platform set at skew angle on my CBN and I sharpen almost constantly, one light pas on each side and back to cutting. My confidence has moved forward to the point that I now know what near sharp feels like and what real sharp feels like. Real sharp has reduced my catches by at least 80%. Skews love to be real sharp to perform.JMHO
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2016 at 8:42pm by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 9:56am

Bruce Kamp wrote on Jul 2nd, 2016 at 8:12pm:
I have gone through a few 2X4s

Keep in mind that construction grade 2x4s, while ok to practice on, are a lot harder to round over with a skew than hardwood.

Also keep in mind that every skew has a built in number of catches so you'll need to use them up as well.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 10:49am

Look up Allen Batty's video on You Tube, or I think it is up in the video section here. One of the best videos out there on using the Skew. Some prefer straight across grind at about 45 degree angle, some prefer a more quarter round profile, both have their uses. Sharpening is probably more important than on gouges where just about any fresh edge will work. Honed edges on skews seem to be mandatory, but I am a bowl turner.....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 10:55am

Ron, I think I understand that. But I thought I would practice on soft wood because it's less costly and if I can get a decent cut on that I should be ok on good wood.
My chisels are old and weren't used for a long time so I think there must be a huge backlog of catches in them. I think I have been able to reduce that number considerably during my practice.

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 11:38am

Ron Sardo wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 9:56am:
Also keep in mind that every skew has a built in number of catches so you'll need to use them up as well.

If that statement is true I believe the number, at least in my case, is equal to the national debt.

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Dave Gill

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 12:22pm

Back in the day that I had some disposable cash, before I retired, I got a CBN hand hone from D-Way that has 360 grit on one side and 600 on the other. Rather than going to the grinder each time to sharpen one of my skews I will get it back to sharp with the hone. D-Way has a video where he shows his process to hand hone - I think this actually puts a sharper edge than just using a wheel. JMVHO

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 1:35pm

Dave Gill wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 12:22pm:
Rather than going to the grinder each time to sharpen one of my skews I will get it back to sharp with the hone. I think this actually puts a sharper edge than just using a wheel. JMVHO

While I agree that the hand hone can improve an already sharp edge, I have found it quicker to just light pass on the CBN wheel. I have relocated my grinder to be very easily accessible when turning so fresh edge is only seconds away regardless which tool is in hand. Grinder height and spindle height are very close to the same so I feel muscle memory with tools is a benefit, the movement and light touch are similar. Let the wood / stone come to the tool. It works for me.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 2:46pm

robo_hippy wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 10:49am:
Some prefer straight across grind at about 45 degree angle, some prefer a more quarter round profile, both have their uses.

My skews that are bigger than 1/2" start with a 45ish degree angle with the last third (by the heal) rounded.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Alan Dick
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 4:33pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 9:56am:

I find that with my skews, once they get to the  built in number of catches, the counter resets and starts again at 0. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2016 at 4:36pm by Alan Dick »  

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 10:50pm

If my skew chisels have a built in number of catches, I haven't reached that number yet.

On using fine CBN wheels, I have 600 and 1000. On the skews, it does a lot to help them cut better however there is still a burr. I found they would cut fine in one direction, but not the other till I honed the burr over to the other side.....

I do have one that has a convex grind which seems to make it more difficult to turn a straight line like a rolling pin, but easier for curved surfaces.

Skew is a four letter word!!!

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print