Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Are you a Fan"
Aug 6th, 2018 at 8:44am

These days there are many instructors and demonstrators offering classes and showcasing their skills.
Many turners, consciously or not, find themselves becoming drawn to one or two of them.
Are there professional turners you "follow" ?
Do you watch all their videos or take classes from them? Do you tell others, "John Smith does it like this" or  "I use John Smiths method" Do you try to emulate their style? Do you buy their tools or use their grinds?
There are many ways to "follow" someone.

QOTW
Do you have a favorite instructor or pro turner that you follow or are a fan of? If so, what drew you to them and their style of turning/teaching"

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Are you a Fan"
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 9:19am

My first instructor was David Ellsworth.  I knew i needed to get some teachin' into me and after nosing around noticed this guy whose last name is Ellsworth and the town i live in is Ellsworth, Maine. THEN i found out that his father's name was Ralph and my name is Ralph.

I decided right then that there were too many coincidences to ignore!!  It was just a basic weekend class but it served me well and will always consider him to be the cornerstone in my turning abilities.

I did buy his  gouges and sharpening jig.
I really don't follow any one particular turner.

I had a guy in my turning club who took the time to give me one on one about pretty much anything I could  think of.

He even tried to teach me how to use a skew!!! We both considered that to be his one major failure!!

He passed away a short time ago but his kindness allowed me to grow and not hurt myself.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 9:08am

When I first started learning (teaching myself) about Woodturning, I was fortunate enough to have someone introduce me (by way of a video) to Jimmy Clewes.
Up to that point I had read a few books and watched a couple of videos from some other well known "instructors" and I wasn't impressed at all.
Everyone absorbs information or knowledge in a slightly different way, being able to find a teaching source/method that fits you can be a challenge.
I watched one Jimmy Clewes video and I was able to understand everything he said immediately, it just made sense. My turning skills improved quite rapidly after recieving his type of instruction and explanation.
I do have a couple of Thompson gouges with his name on them, although they are no different and cost the same as standard ones.  Undecided I also have many of his videos, so I would consider myself a fan of his.
I don't necessarily like all the things he makes or all the tools and products he uses but rather his teaching style.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 9:19am

Shortly after moving from pens to bowls, I came upon Bill Grumbine's first video. After watching it more times than I can remember and learning much, I wrote to Bill asking about instruction. Long story short, I drove to Pennsylvania and took 2 days of one on one instruction from Bill. What you see on his videos is what you get. A few years later, I did it again.
I really like Bill's no nonsense style, and would recommend him to anyone starting out. He takes you from log to finished bowl.
Another "teacher" for me is Dennis Edwards. Denny is not an instructor, but he does excellent videos of his segmented work, taking you from planning the piece on paper, to making jigs for cutting and assembling. I've communicate with Denny several times over the years and he is very generous with his time.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

mark stroud
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Livermore, California, USA
Livermore
California
USA

robust sweet 16 , oneway 1018
Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 10:01pm

For me it would have to be Malcolm Tibbets, for the last 10 or so years I have followed him through books, DVD's and was able to take a class that he was teaching at David Mark's studio.
His style of teaching is more on demonstrating his craft ,very relaxed and easy to follow.
His talent and designs are truly unique in the field of segmented turning, I find it challenging and rewarding to duplicate the projects in his book and DVD's.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:10am

I watch all of Robo Hippy's vids.  He's a straight talker.  Easy to understand.  No show boating.  Explains  mistakes he's made, so you can try to avoid them.     Many others are just show offs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print