Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Abrasive Paste
Dec 6th, 2019 at 12:19am

I have been thinking about making my own abrasive paste. Standard recipe seems to be 1 part beeswax, 1 part Diatomaceous Earth(DE) powder and 5 parts of mineral oil- all by weight.  My question is why not use an organic oil ie canola oil, etc instead of mineral oil?  I have been using Canola oil for quite awhile for wet sanding of tear out and other sanding issues and have had no issues as most of the oil gets shear scraped or sanded off any way.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Re: Abrasive Paste
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 8:12am

I don't know if it matters, Leo, but in my application, the abrasive paste comes last in the "abrading" routine. By the time I use the paste, all my shear scraping and sanding is done. So, the paste is like the finest sandpaper that I am going to use. Some of the paste, then, remains on the piece and is under whatever finish I will apply. In that kind of scenario, would the kind of oil in the paste base matter?

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 10:40am

I have not used any of these abrasive pastes but am concerned with leaving a remnant of the mineral oil (or canola) on the wood, and this interfering with a top coat (film finish). I have no idea if "a little bit"  of oil remaining can cause a problem, it probably depends on the species of wood and its pore structure.  For this reason I was thinking of making an abrasive paste using walnut oil, which is a curing oil.  In fact, this seems to be similar to wet sanding with walnut oil, which I like to do, either as a stand-alone finish or underneath oil base poly. 
Another point, I understand that the paste instructions call for the wood to be sealed prior to using the paste.  Perhaps this prevents the wood from absorbing mineral oil. 
Finally, I would be concerned with canola oil turning rancid.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 11:04am

Abrasive pastes are typically used to sand film finishes.
I know many people like to sand with oil or wax and so forth but you do run the risk of embedding abrasive particles into the wood, this along with oil residue can have a negative effect on any subsequent finish that differs from the lubricant. If not cleaned thoroughly, the embedded particles can also diminish the chatoyance of the wood, leaving a lack of depth to the final look. (this may be desired)
Personally I don't see the benefit of wet sanding raw wood, as IMO there are more than enough other sanding options available without the potential drawbacks.
JMO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print