Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Covid-19 shut down
May 3rd, 2020 at 10:19pm

How is this covid shut down affecting other turners who market their products?
Most of my turning is geared towards the tourist that travel to our area and 2 of the galleries I submit to are closed now, as it is highly anticipated that there will be very few tourist this year. Going into the fall when Christmas craft fairs are scheduled I am thinking they will be cancelled as well due to the Social Distancing ?? Hope I am wrong.
It is great to have the time to turn but I am curious how other turners are coping/dealing with this pandemic.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Covid-19 shut down
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2020 at 7:58am

One thought is at least our products don't go bad. Nothing wrong with increasing stock for future sales.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Richard Shelby

WR Rocks!

NOVA 1624
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2020 at 2:13pm

My "art" just continues to accumulate. One of the galleries where I sold has just shut down. What will the "new normal" look like when art shows resume? We'll probably wear face masks and offer hand sanitizer to everyone. Will the crowds be as big as before? Will there be a hunger for craft-purchasing?  I have so much inventory that I won't be able to take it all to a single show. I'll probably select turnings which I know appeals to a particular group based on my experience at previous shows. Some people want art, some people want tableware.  Sic transit gloria mundi.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2020 at 4:04pm

I have written this year off as a wash.  New Jersey shut down 90% of everything and shows no signs of opening up anytime soon.  I am signed up for 2 shows later in the year but not adding anything else on at this time.  I am going a different route for the time being.  I just got everything set up and am going to do my first interactive remote demo for my club in a couple weeks.  Hopefully that will be followed by IRD's  for other clubs.  I think once a vaccine and treatment that helps people recover faster is found this will become another flu.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print