WR Rocks!

Hudson, Massachusetts, USA
Hudson
Massachusetts
USA

Nova 16"
Buffing
Jan 17th, 2022 at 8:02pm

Does anyone have a buffing system or routine that they really like? I've never done a lot of buffing other than an old rag, but maybe it's time. Thanks, Frank

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Re: Buffing
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 10:48am

The Beale buffing system is pretty popular.  I have one and it made a big difference in the smoothness of my finishes.  Since potential buyers pick up and feel the bowls I think it helps make the sale.  Instead of the carbanuba wax I use the microcrystalline wax.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 12:29pm

Thumbs Up Bill

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 12:59pm

The Beall buffing system is a proprietary version of the generic three-wheel (three compound) system.  Chestnut Products has their version of this, and I built my own version from components that I obtained from various sources. 

The basic concept is that the first wheel (traditionally linen fabric with spiral stitching and therefore relatively hard) uses a reddish/brown rouge (tripoli - 800-1000 grit) buffing compound, the second wheel (typically loose cotton fabric and therefore softer than the first wheel) uses a white diamond compound (actually a 1500-1800 grit ceramic in wax), and the third uses a very soft loose flannel wheel and wax.  The original Beall system uses carunauba wax, but some people use microcrystalline wax either instead of carunauba, or in addition to carunauba.  Carunauba produces a brighter shine, but it can pick up fingerprints.  Microcrystalline is harder and resists fingerprinting.

I bought a set of three 8" wheels at Harbor Freight that I mounted on shop-made wooden threaded mandrels that screw directly onto the spindle of my lathe.   Harbor Freight also has both red and white compounds (as well as others intended for either metals or plastics), and suppliers such as PSI also sell buffing compounds.  Liberon carnauba wax sticks and microstalline waxes are available from specialty turning suppliers and general retailers such as Amazon.

Another option is to use a wax polishing compound such as EEE Ultrashine, Dr Kirks, Yorkshire Grit, or one of the many shop-made wax and abrasive compounds described on various YouTube videos.  These are applied to the finished piece while it is still on the lathe, allowed to dry, and then buffed away to leave a smooth surface. 

I have found that one of the single-compound approaches is fine on items that simply require a very smooth surface - eg, items to be used in conjunction with yarns in knitting or crocheting.  When I want a more obvious gloss, then I use the three-wheel system.  One thing to be aware of is that a high gloss also means slippery, and should be avoided on items that require a secure grip (eg, walking canes).
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2022 at 1:04pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 6:53pm

If memory serves, the two abrasive compounds are colors, and may accumulate and show in open grain woods like oak, ash, and even walnut.  Part of the reason I've never used the Beale buffing system I bought years ago.  The other part of the reason was hearing people report occasionally having an object pulled from their hands and damaged while buffing.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2022 at 6:54pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 7:49pm

Don Stephan wrote on Jan 21st, 2022 at 6:53pm:
If memory serves, the two abrasive compounds are colors, and may accumulate and show in open grain woods like oak, ash, and even walnut.  Part of the reason I've never used the Beale buffing system I bought years ago.  The other part of the reason was hearing people report occasionally having an object pulled from their hands and damaged while buffing.

Don's recollection is correct.  Tripoli is reddish/brown, and white diamond is white.  However, one eventually learns to not load the buffing wheels so heavily with compound that the color transfers to the work piece.

And it is true that it is possible that if the workpiece isn't held securely, it can be snatched out of the turner's hands and flung across the shop.  DAMHIKT!

But while these are real possibilities, it is possible to learn to avoid the problems.  Like using a skew, all it takes is a lot of practice.

I don't buff everything I turn because I generally don't want my stuff to be so shiny.  But when its appropriate, its another tool I can use to achieve an objective.

Louie

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2022 at 9:03am

It is my experience that color transfer from the compound to the piece is very rare, and can be minimized by avoiding excess compound on the wheel.  What I have heard the most from others is that white diamond gets embedded in walnut, but I have never seen it in my work (although I usually am buffing a lacquer or wipe-on poly film and not bare wood). I have seen white diamond get embedded in bark layers.   Vonax is another brand of compound that can substitute for white diamond and is a neutral color. 
In terms of the buffing wheel snatching the piece out of your hands, yes, this is an issue until you get experience.
I place a piece of foam underneath the buffing wheel to provide a soft landing, just in case a piece is snatched, but it's got to be about 3-4 years since I had this happen.
To me, the benefits of buffing far outweigh the risks. 
Mike Peace has a nice intro to buffing on YouTube

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print