Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re-Introduction from SE Wisconsin (Read 241 times)

Dan Hoenisch

WR Rocks!

Kenosha Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
Kenosha Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Grizzly G0766 22" X 42"
Central Machinery 10" X 18"
Re-Introduction from SE Wisconsin
Mar 11th, 2022 at 8:46am

Good morning all.  I just wanted to re-introduce myself. 

I joined in 2018, but then fell away from all forums since my work completely took over my life, working around the clock and not having any time for anything else.  Well, after a series of events, which I won't bore anyone with, I forced a better work/life balance and am getting back to the reason I am working, to have a decent life.  So, I am trying to do that, and am getting back to the things I enjoy.

So, firstly, I started woodworking many years ago.  I am more into antique woodworking machinery, and a good portion of my shop is just that.  However, the lathe is something that I prefer to have modern machinery, mostly so I can easily get the tooling I need. 

I first started out with an early 1990's Craftsman 12" lathe with a steel bed and a 2HP belt drive motor.  Sadly, that motor was more like a 1/2HP,  and the only way to really add tooling to that lathe was to purchase adapters, or go without.  Still though, I cranked out some pens and some other small items, but I wanted to do larger work.  I didn't have much money, and knew I wanted a larger lathe, but after the Craftsman gave up the ghost, I ended up purchasing a Harbor Freight 12"x33 1/3" lathe.  This lathe was going to be used until I could afford to buy a "big boy" lathe.  But, with this one, I was cranking out lamps, bowls, and other larger items, and with standard sized spindle, I was able to get the centers and chucks, face plates and whatnot, so I could lathe out more of what I wanted to do.  I also had the opportunity to purchase the Harbor Freight 10" x 18" lathe for $1.78 after discounts, coupons and a gift card, which is actually quite an impressive machine.  I was using this more for pen making and chess pieces.  I see no reason whatsoever for replacing this lathe.  This will be a permanent fixture in my shop.  And the fact that both lathes could use the same tooling made it better.

So, fast forward to 8-years after purchasing the larger HF lathe.  This lathe was supposed to get me through a couple of years, but then, life happens, and the money I kept trying to save for my "forever" lathe needed to be spend on more important things.  Well, I am doing quite well financially, and after a nice income tax refund, and a lot of research, I finally pulled the trigger on a Grizzly G0766 22" x 42" lathe.  I originally wanted the G0733 18" x 47", but the extra HP of the one I ordered is what made me decide on it.

I don't have the lathe yet, but I gave the HF away to my pastor, and have prepared to take delivery of the new one, which is supposed to arrive this afternoon.  I am really looking forward to using it, and will certainly visit here often, hopefully to gain knowledge, and to provide my own.

Anyhow, all that to say, I'm back, and look forward to using this forum... this time around Smiley

Dan

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Re: Re-Introduction from SE Wisconsin
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 9:36am

Welcome back!   I purchased the two Harbor Freight lathes as well.  I still have the little one, but sold the larger one and purchased a used Nova DVR XP that I'm very happy with.    I know that you'll see a big difference between the Harbor Freight lathe and your new "real" one.    The beefier components and the lower speeds available will be the biggest advantages to you.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2022 at 9:36am by Robert Fischer »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 9:51am

Welcome back Dan

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 8:51pm

We must be neighbors to some extent.

Welcome back to the forum.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Dan Hoenisch

WR Rocks!

Kenosha Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Grizzly G0766 22" X 42"
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2022 at 7:57am

Tony Rozendaal wrote on Mar 11th, 2022 at 8:51pm:
We must be neighbors to some extent.

Welcome back to the forum.

Absolutely.  I see you are from East Troy, WI.  I love their annual bluegrass festival and go there every year.  Of course, with the square under construction last year, they had to move it, but looking forward to it this year.  Just a short drive from Kenosha.

Dan

IP Logged

Dan Hoenisch

WR Rocks!

Kenosha Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Grizzly G0766 22" X 42"
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2022 at 8:00am

Robert Fischer wrote on Mar 11th, 2022 at 9:36am:
Welcome back!   I purchased the two Harbor Freight lathes as well.  I still have the little one, but sold the larger one and purchased a used Nova DVR XP that I'm very happy with. 

Yeah, that little Harbor Freight lathe is an amazing little lathe.  I think I was able to do more with that little guy than  the larger one.  It's just so ruggedly built, and that little motor seems to be able to handle anything I throw at it.  Right now, I am making a second set of chess pieces for my brother-in-law after he saw the set I made for myself.  THat little HF lathe is going to remain a permanent fixture in my shop.  I see no reason to replace it.

Dan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print