Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bad weather in Florida (Read 5,854 times)

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Bad weather in Florida
Reply #30 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 2:04pm

“So far, so good” for the weather report in good ol' southwest Georgia. We are seeing Katrina's outer bands blow hard and deposit some heavy rain as they whiz by at 35 to 55 mph this afternoon, with plenty of lightening and associated thunder. It only lasts for 15 to 30 minutes, and then it is fairly calm until the next band arrives; so the deluge has a chance to flow down to the lake, hence, no flooding here so far.
Here comes another one, with serious rain, and lightening.
It is amazing that one storm system is able to carry soooooo much water so far. The way it is POURING outside right now, one would think there would not be any rain left to fall by the time this behemoth gets to CVG. Y’all really need to be turning watershoes.

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #31 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 11:05pm

Hi,
    Katrina past now, reports here that it moved to the east slightly, hope it helped New orleans, does this mean that others got it bad?

Apart from the casualties and devastation, how do you remove all that water, being below sea level obviously means a high water table so nothing soaking into the ground?

Sorry we are to far away to help you guys.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:41am

New Orleans does in deed sit mostly below sea level, with levees around it to keep the Mississippi River, Lake Ponchartrain, and the Gulf of Mexico out. They pump unwanted water out with electric motor-driven water pumps.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #33 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Gil, I've been hearing news stories all day about wind and tornatos in Georgia. Do you and Ned still have your feet on the ground?

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 6:21pm

Curt thanks for asking. My feet are firmly on the shop floor (well, my buns are firmly in a chair) right now. We did OK, all we got here were the outer bands of Katrina; and while they were more than enough, there was no damage. A tornado zipped by about 12 miles east of our Daughter's home up near Atlanta (all OK).
The last time I heard from Ned, he faired the storms about like us, and was alive and well.

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #35 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 10:45pm

Hi,
    Reports here in the UK paint a grim picture. its going to take some clearing up, its hit a wide area and presumably still going although reducing as it goes, any news from any other guys in its wake.

Pleased to know you guys came through it ok.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #36 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 11:23pm

In the southern Indiana/ northern Kentucky area, lots of rain but not really a lot of wind.  By the time it got here, I believe it was barely considered a tropical depression.  I got some water in my garage, but then, I get water in my garage anytime it rains.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Dangerous Weather in Texas
Reply #37 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 2:13pm

I do not know which of our folks live in or near the Texas Gulf coast, but "Rita" is looking like Katrina only worse. This may be a good time to visit Utah. Category 5, at 165 mph (so far). Here is a good site to track it>>
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print