Re: when is the next...
Reply #46 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 6:33pm

hehehe  "Turns up"

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #47 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:09pm

Hi guys,

Thanks Sky, I didnt see that,  you made me laugh.

This is the sort of thing that make this site magic.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 4:04pm

i can go pick it up next weekend!!!i picked up some hand tools today... next weekend, if i have enough cash after getting the lathe, i will go get a grinder, and a wolverine jig... then i should be able to get started!!!

soon i will finally get to post in this forum more!!!!!

as opposed to the tool board!!!!!

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #49 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 3:47am

Silly question guys,
  What is the best kind of wood for these things. I would figure softer woods would get too banged up and figured woods would be over kill. Thoughts?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #50 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 4:52am

I would think a softer, lighter wood. Without knots and figuring, as that would throw the top out of balance if one side was more dense. No matter what it is , it will get beat up. I laminated (stacked)a few pieces of walnut, bloodwood, and cypress together and turned one. Cant make it spin tho

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #51 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:27pm

Hi,
   Can somebody show us in detail the size of the string/cord and how and where it is attached to the top please

Boots
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:47pm by Boots »  
Boots Boots  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #52 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:58pm

Boots, I am no expert, but I can tell you the way it is done here.  Grasp the top in your left hand, or in your right, if you are left-handed, make a loop with one end of the string (maybe do that first), and hang it on the stem.  Lay it on the side of the top with the end crossed under the long part.  Put your thumb, the one on the hand with which you are gripping the top, over the string to hold it onto the top, and with the other hand, grasp the string that is hanging down, and making sure that it crosses over the end that is lying on the top, wind it rather tightly around the point and up the sides, say about half way.  Then, with the point upward (some do it with the point down), holding the remaining string, throw the top and pull back on the string.  It will release at some point, fall to the floor point down,  and, hopefully, spin.  Takes some practice though. 
No pictures for the moment.  Hope the explanation helps.  My wife, who was quite a top thrower in her youth, showed me the ropes (no pun intended).

JIM

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #53 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:53pm

Hi,
    Thanks Jim.    what size string please?  and presumably the point has a special shape, I will do some research on this point............... point ............youve got to laugh haven't you ayh.
But the guy in the vidio had it hanging on the end of the string? hows that done, it was always connected to the string, a loop that will not come of the point?

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #54 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:44am

What size string?  Maybe string in the U.S. has sizes, like #2 or #3, but I don't remember, and here it doesn't.  A nice string like the one they call cord that is used for wrapping packages seems to work.  Cotton string.  Nylon seems to slippery.  As to the point, the commercial tops here have a squared off (not pointed) tip.  Take a nail, maybe a thinish concrete nail, grind off the point (and head), and there it is.  I have been using rivots because I like the finished look of the washer against the wood. 

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #55 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:53am

Quote:
Hi,
   Thanks Jim.    what size string please?  and presumably the point has a special shape, I will do some research on this point............... point ............youve got to laugh haven't you ayh.
But the guy in the vidio had it hanging on the end of the string? hows that done, it was always connected to the string, a loop that will not come of the point?

Boots

As far as string goes, you'll want something that doesn't have much 'stretch' to it, so a cord of some kind is best, and for its' length, about chest high works for me.
If it was me you were refering to (the guy in the video), that's a trick called the merry-go-round.  Watch it again and you'll see I throw the top directly to my hand, then make the loop as I drop the top off my hand.  Because of its' spinning nature and the shape of the top, I can balance the top as it hangs, spinning (but not for too long).

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print