Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: Nova DVR lathe with many extras (Chicago area) (Read 2,572 times)

Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Bowl blanks galore
Aug 8th, 2011 at 3:52pm

I'm new to the forum and pretty new to turning.  I have been grabbing a log here and there (cherry, oak, ash, poplar) and this weekend decided to make a bunch of bowl blanks.  I cut them and sealed them with Rockler's Green Wood Sealer.  I only had a quart so I probably didn't seal them quite as liberally as I might have liked.

I'm wondering if anyone has boiled blanks to aid in drying?  I boiled a few roughed out bowls this weekend too and stored them in double paper bags.  Given my description of the blanks I cut this weekend, does anyone think I should bag them too.  I'm not sure how soon I will get to turning them.  Some sooner than later, no doubt.

Interested in your ideas.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2011 at 4:23pm by Jenny Trice »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register picresized_1312838637_P1050907_ed.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register picresized_1312838918_P1050914_ed.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Re: Bowl blanks galore
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 4:26pm

I'm firmly in the boiling camp. I boil all of my green bowl blanks. There are a few shape and wood combinations that I don't have to boil but as a general rule, if its green, I make a huge batch of wood tea. I only coat the fruit woods and a couple others I've found like to crack. If I boild fruit woods, I get small cracks often. If I don't, they almost split completely in half. Most other woods I'm good with turning to abut 1" thick, boiling, let dry in the shop for a day, then place on the shelf in the basement to be turned in a few months.

When I get in bowl mode, I like to turn several green blanks, put them in the pot, and pull a couple dry blanks off the shelf and finish them. If I keep the rotation up, I'm never at a loss of something to rough out or finish.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 4:39pm

Thanks for the input Robert.  So, now that I've put the sealer on them, without boiling, do you think I should still boil them.  I'm sure the sealer would melt off in the water bath, making waxy tea, but could be reapplied, if needed.  Othewise, I'm thinking of bagging the ones I prepped yesterday.  I'm learning.  I read a bunch of stuff on boiling and became sold on it as an idea but saw little on boiling the blanks, compared to boiling roughed out bowls.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 4:45pm

Don't boil the complete blanks.  Robert boils rough turned to 1" thick or finish turned pieces.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Dale Gillaspy
WR Addict

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 5:59pm

There are really 2 different camps on this, and I can't speak to it fully because I have never boiled them. I live in a very dry climate, so I have had mixed results with sealer as well. Many people don't do anything a all. Mike Mahoney literally turns hundreds of bowls a year if not more, (Until this year) and gets very few cracks. He lives in a dry climate and keeps them in a drying room until it is time to final turn them. He just figures the small percentage that cracks is a cost of doing business, and it is not work the time investment to seal all the blanks for the return he would get.

Bottom line is: it depends. It certainly won't hurt them.

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 6:54pm

I wouldn't boil the whole logs cut blanks. I thought you were talking about partial turned blanks.

Remember Mike is a production turner and time at the lathe is where the money is made so time spent doing other things doesn't pay.

I boil rough turned bowls and most finish turned pieces because a lost blank means more to me. I'll also bother with repairs on things a lot of people toss in the fire bin.

The best thing to do is try it all and repeat the things that work and you feel isn't too much bother. It is all so variable. Type of wood, ambient temperature and humidity, time of year the wood was harvested, shape of the piece, grain direction, on and on.

With all your hard work and planning, mother nature still likes to throw you a curve now and then and all bets are off.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 7:26pm

Jenny,
It would depend what area you live in. Jim being in AZ he gets heat galore but it's dry Me being in New England we get lots of humid air.

P.S. if you finish filing out your profile we may have members near you that would be more then glad to help if you need it.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 7:56pm

And them there is Jim King who used to talk about starting his boiling barrel in the morning when the men showed up and they would then spend the day cutting the blanks into shape and tossing them into the boil barrel.  They would shut the burner off at quitting time and go home.  The next morning they would pull the blanks out and restart the burner for the next days blanks.  He claimed it worked well for him. 

I on the other hand boil the finished work sometimes.  Have not lost one to cracking yet.  Some warping, but no breakage.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bob Wright

WR Rocks!

Consejo, Belize, Belize
Consejo, Belize
Belize

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 11:19pm

This topic has no end. You guys go on and on, boil 'em bag 'em, DNA, no Dna, etc etc Between the time you take talking about it and going through all the contortions to get a piece of wood ready you sure could turn a lot more stuff, if you would just turn.
I have been turning on a daily bases for 19 years. This amounts to thousands of pieces now located in many different parts of the world under many different conditions.
I turn ALL GREEN ALL THE TIME. I have tipped over a tree in the morning and have had a piece with it's first coat on by quitting time. We have pieces in the house from the early '90's still looking good. And seldom get complaints or returns. [I have a 100% return if you're not happy policy]

While you're all having a good time doing the blah-blahs on this I'll be turning.
I have explained my technique several times over the years on this forum but you guys seem to like the pain and suffering you cause yourselves.
No, I don't expect you all to change, it's too ingrained [pun intended]
Bob

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 12:23am

Bob, that is one reason why we say to do whatever works for you. I don't waste a lot of time when I boil. I just start the pot, start turning, and drop them in as I finish one. I don't like the fuss, character, and color changes with soaking in LDD so I don't do that one anymore. Standing in front of the microwave is a pain and, I agree with you, a waste of time. All I know is that I have better success, and with some woods, any success at all, if I boil so I stick with what works for me. I don't tell anyone how they should do things, only what works for me.

No worries.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 7:37am

I don't boil, I'd rather spend the time turning.

I seal the end grain on blocks of wood and never rough turnings, which I brown paper bag.

Wood grows on trees you know.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:08pm

Bob,

I have been looking and have yet to see a post from you on your technique.  I searched your posts and it will only go back to the last fifty.  Got tired of looking through the old drying posts to find what you said you posted.  Care to re-post your method.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 9:40am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bob Wright

WR Rocks!

Consejo, Belize, Belize
Consejo, Belize
Belize

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 10:28pm

OK Dale here it is.
Turn the outside
Coat liberally with mineral spirits, go have a cup of coffee or start a second piece while it dries [about 20 minutes]
The mineral spirits will give you a "surface dry" that you can sand with out too much clogging of the sand paper. I usually sand to 320 at this point.
Chuck the bowl and turn the inside.
Coat the inside with mineral spirits so that it is running freely. Turn the rpm's up as high as you dare with the particular piece. Add more mineral spirits to the inside.
The centrifugal force will actually throw the mineral spirits through the wall of the bowl. Stop the process when no more mineral spirits are hitting your shop wall.
Let it dry. Again you have a sand-able surface.
Finish sanding the inside and re-sand the outside to remove the sap and mineral spirits that passed through the wood.
Apply finish.
As I said last night, I have been doing this for 19 years. Working alone down here in Belize before I had the internet I made things up as I went along. With no good sources of dry wood and to impatient by nature to wait I started turning green and stumbled along until I perfected this technique.
Everything you see on my web site  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   has been done this way.
Give it a try with several types of wood in your area, let me know how you make out
Bob

Fixed your link so it was active.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011 at 10:42pm by JimQuarles »  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 2:02am

Jenny, let me be the first to say Nice Haul.  smiley=thumbsup.gif  That's a nice-sized pile of fun you've got stacked up there.  Smiley

As you can see, ask ten turners a drying question and you'll get fifteen answers.  Grin  But like others, I'd recommend getting them rough-turned into bowls as soon as is practical. If left as whole blanks, there's a higher chance they will crack, regardless of what you try. I'd say you're in a good position with all that wood to try out a few different drying methods on rough-turned pieces and see which ones work best for you. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print