WR Rocks!

Hudson, Massachusetts, USA
Hudson
Massachusetts
USA

Nova 16"
Which is best ?
Apr 25th, 2016 at 8:06pm

High speed steel or carbon steel.........or maybe something else. Which do you use and why? Thanks, Frank

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Which is best ?
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 8:10pm

That's sort of like 'how long is a string?'

Today, I think most people prefer high speed steel because it holds an edge longer than carbon steel.

However, carbon steel is less expensive (if cost matters), and it is possible to sharpen carbon steel tools to a finer edge than HSS.

By the way, not all HSS is created equal.

Louie

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 9:16pm

Powdered steel is probably the best.  Check Thompson tools or Dway tools.  Not sure what steel Carter and son use.  Louie is correct you can get a finer edge on Carbon Steel, however it does not hold an edge very long.  HSS is much better and holds a  pretty good edge and also can be sharpened to a fine edge using white grinding wheels.  Powdered steel holds an edge the longest, however I have found to get a really good edge must use a CBN grinding wheel and they are pricey at abut $150 each but I doubt a hobbyist will wear one out in their lifetime.  They also do not ever get smaller so setting your grinding jig is a onetime deal.
Note Louie's last statement.  HSS comes in a wide array of quality, a lot it has to do with heat treatment.  You generally get what you pay for.

IP Logged

Alan Hollar

WR Rocks!

Newland, North Carolina, USA
Newland
North Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 9:46am

Carter and Son uses M42 HSS, standard HSS tools are M2, Oneway gouges are M4 HSS.
Google the differences and prepare to be confused

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 11:44am

Not positive as I am not a metal head, but when the discussion about which gets sharper comes up, most of the time it seems that the different metal can all be bought pretty close to the same sharpness, but it is easier with the high carbon steels than it is with the M2 or powder metals. Even with the hand plane blades, the old ones from Japan would have a thinner veneer of hard metal for the cutting edge laminated onto a softer metal for the backing/mass of the blade.

Getting a 600 and 1000 grit wheel for my grinder makes for a much better finish cut tool than the coarser wheels, which are better for roughing cuts.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print