WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Glossy finish
Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:50pm

Friction polish, both store bought and self-mixed, will build much more quickly if you can apply on the lathe.  The resulting finish is not as durable however as the products mentioned above., so it may be more suitable to items that will be admired on a shelf or used very occasionally.  Friction polishes are fun to use!

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #32 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:52pm

Sorry Ed, I had no idea products like P&L 38 were still legal in La La land.  The regular distributor here in Cincinnati often has painters in Louisville KY come up and buy all the available quarts of the product, saying they can't get in there.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #33 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:48pm

Vic sinai wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:37pm:
Also will try Mylands.  Thx for the suggestion

The key is multiple light coats with a minute of spinning between to dry it.  I normally do 3 or 4 coats at a low speed with light pressure.  Then a couple coats at a higher speed with firm pressure.  The last coat I do a side to side motion with firm pressure for a couple minutes.  The heat that it generates makes it really shine.  I have done multiple pepper mills and tap handles with it and have not had it wear off yet.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #34 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 9:19pm

Don Stephan wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:52pm:
La La land

Smiley

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #35 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 11:50am

I've read this whole blog, and nowhere did see where anyone said anything about using sanding sealer before applying WOP. I think what's happening is the wood is soaking up the WOP for the first 6 to 8 coats. My experience has been to apply a minimum of 2 coats of sanding sealer, I use DEFT, with sanding after each coat, before applying the WOP.
Using this process, I put 4 to 6 coats of WOP for a nice gloss finish.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #36 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:50am

Ray Stubbs wrote on Jun 24th, 2017 at 11:50am:
I've read this whole blog, and nowhere did see where anyone said anything about using sanding sealer before applying WOP. I think what's happening is the wood is soaking up the WOP for the first 6 to 8 coats.

While I understand your point, IMO there's more to it.
To achieve a "glossy finish you either need to,
1. Use a product designed to produce a glossy finish
or
2. Use a product that can achieve a glossy finish by buffing/polishing.
Each product has it's own method of getting to the final 'glossy' result.
In the majority of cases, you do not need to use sanding sealer, but as mentioned it can help to lessen the amount of coats it takes in order to build the top-coat.

Typically, most WOP's are a thinned down version of standard polyurethane. It's designed to be easier applied without leaving application marks and dry more quickly. On the down side, it also takes many more coats (3-4 times) to build a thick enough film to get to the glossy result the OP is looking for.

Today, most polyurethanes can be wiped on without thinning and have very good self leveling qualities. Depending on your personal preferences there is no need, other than convenience, to buy a wipe on product. If you want/need a thinned version it's simple enough to thin it yourself with the appropriate solvent/thinner. Read the label to determine what product to thin your polyurethane/varnish with.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #37 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:54am

Kudos for adding to the thread a good point, Ray.  I don't use sanding sealer because I try to minimize the number of cans of product that can gel before empty, and because I don't think it would dramatically reduce from 5-7 the number of coats I have to rub on to achieve a semi gloss finish.  On that sassafras bowl sanding sealer might have been helpful, but not significantly on maple, oak, ash, walnut, cherry, bradford pear, or holly.  I never achieve a filled pore finish on oak and ash with 5-7 coats, but I don't think two coats of sanding sealer would fill those open grain woods either.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print