Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Wood Rings (Read 1,549 times)

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Wood Rings
May 24th, 2018 at 8:49pm

I made some wooden rings earlier today, turned out fairly well. They're out of mesquite, just wood, no metal core. Anyhow, I have my doubts they'll last, especially with daily wear or even casual wear. I'd like to make them last for several years, decades if possible with consistent wear. I was curious, is there a way to make the wood more durable?

I seen a couple things, using CA glue, and one person used epoxy.

There's metal cores for rings, but I have no idea how well they're made, what materials are available, how you wood secure the wood the core, anyone want to enlighten me?

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Re: Wood Rings
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2018 at 10:14pm

The ones from craft supply are made from stainless steel.  They are well made and are attached with ca glue.  I hot glue the blank to a waste block in my chuck make a hole in the center the size of the core and glue it in. Then i rough round the blank and remove it from the waste block.  They sell spacers for the core that fit on a pen mandrel to finish turn once the core is installed.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2018 at 10:40pm

Fantastic, thank you for that. Have you ever had the wood come off a core, after you or someone else has worn it for awhile?

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:16am

Check out the Bangle Guy.  They sell wood and metal cores for bracelets and rings.  The bracelet metal cores are very well made.  I have not done a ring. They also have a series of videos on you tube showing how to make bracelets and rings

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:19am

Earlier this year I made one of the Craft Supplies rings with the metal core.  I used Osage Orange for it's durability & color.  Pretty easy to turn.  I used epoxy to hold the wood to the core.  The wood cracked after a couple of months.  I don't know if it was the wood (since OO tends to crack) or if expansion differences between the metal and wood caused it.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2018 at 10:41am

How dry was the Osage orange?

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:00pm

Al Wasser wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 9:16am:
Check out the Bangle Guy.  They sell wood and metal cores for bracelets and rings.  The bracelet metal cores are very well made.  I have not done a ring. They also have a series of videos on you tube showing how to make bracelets and rings

Awesome, I'll take a look there too.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:01pm

Bill Neff wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 9:19am:
Earlier this year I made one of the Craft Supplies rings with the metal core.  I used Osage Orange for it's durability & color.  Pretty easy to turn.  I used epoxy to hold the wood to the core.  The wood cracked after a couple of months.  I don't know if it was the wood (since OO tends to crack) or if expansion differences between the metal and wood caused it.

I wonder if you give it more clearance on the core before epoxy, give a little more to expand?

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - May 25th, 2018 at 3:19pm

Try laminating 3 layers of wood in opposing directions for added strength and stability.

I did these 3  bracelets over a decade ago

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2018 at 3:20pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2018 at 4:17pm

Derik Mittag wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 10:40pm:
Fantastic, thank you for that. Have you ever had the wood come off a core, after you or someone else has worn it for awhile?

I made a couple to see if they sell at craft shows.  I still have them i made them a couple months ago.  They are all still in one piece the only one i cracked was one still on the lathe that i got the wood to thin.  I just turned the rest of the wood off and put the core in a new blank.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2018 at 7:19am

Ron Sardo wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 3:19pm:
Try laminating 3 layers of wood in opposing directions for added strength and stability.

I did these 3  bracelets over a decade ago

The Rings I'll be making will be out of mesquite wood scraps. I don't have any thin enough for lamination.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #11 - May 26th, 2018 at 7:20am

chris lawrence wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 4:17pm:
Derik Mittag wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 10:40pm:

I made a couple to see if they sell at craft shows.  I still have them i made them a couple months ago.  They are all still in one piece the only one i cracked was one still on the lathe that i got the wood to thin.  I just turned the rest of the wood off and put the core in a new blank.

I suppose it's just how a person wears them

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2018 at 8:12am

Quote:
I suppose it's just how a person wears them

The cores are pretty heavy duty you cant bend them pinching with your fingers.  I finished all mine with a coat of thin ca glue that soaked into the wood then 3 coats of medium that built up a good layer on the ring.  The same process i use for my pens.  Then sanded them down through a micro mesh set to 12000 grit.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #13 - May 26th, 2018 at 9:50am

The Osage Orange was very dry, had been sitting in my workshop for 6-7 years. It was 2x2x6 blank.  A hair more clearance might help.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - May 26th, 2018 at 11:23am

Bill Neff wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 9:19am:

Bill Neff wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 9:50am:
The Osage Orange was very dry, had been sitting in my workshop for 6-7 years. It was 2x2x6 blank.  A hair more clearance might help.

With this info, IMO
It's still the wood, nothing else.
The stainless steel core is stable.
The epoxy is 'typically " stable
The wood, that's another story.
OO has it's own characteristics like any other species but is not really prone to shrinkage.
OO is actually quite stable and somewhat elastic (used for archery bows) and because of this has a wide range of uses.

You mentioned that your blank was 2"x2"x6", while this is considered small, the interior wood can have significantly higher MC than the exterior (especially if sealed).
I have some (sealed) wood blanks of that size which are far older and are still soaking wet in the center.
In a perfect world
Wood should be milled close to final dimension leaving enough material for final dimensioning and sanding. Then left to acclimate to your working environment for at least a day before final fitting and adhesive is applied.
If the wood is not "stable" or at least as stable as you can get it before you fit it onto the steel, it doesn't really matter what else you do.
Wood Moves

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print