Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Crack filler ideas?
Feb 14th, 2008 at 1:34pm

Ok I know about the CA / Carpenter glue & sawdust (or ground coffee) trick, but I don't like the results (at least with the sawdust).  Does anyone know how the commercial wood fillers are made?  if so, would be a good idea to try and make your own using various woods or dyes for different colors.  Also...would be nice if the homemade stuff wouldn't get hard.  The commercial stuff, you just add water to it if it should start to dryup.  Anyone conquer this problem of crack filling?  I really want an easier way that isn't as frustrating to do.  Undecided

...Bert
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2008 at 1:34pm by Norbert Dupas »  

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Re: Crack filler ideas?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 4:53pm

For my personal use,I stay away from the commercial stuff.I use epoxy an sawdust.I usually just mix just enough for what I will use.Then if its not enough,I just mix a little more.I don,t use CA anymore than I have to as it liked to killed me last yr when I put some on some heavy burl I use.

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 5:49pm

where or how do you get your sawdust?  I find mine is too coarse to use, doesn't fill the wood well, and how thick do you make your "paste?".  Do you make it thick enough, so that you grab it with your fingers & push it in the crack? or how exactly do you do it.  IF you happen to get a camera next time you mix some, I wouldn't mind a step by step photo explanation of how you mix it etc.....

...Bert

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 7:12pm

Bert,
I went to a local locksmith & have him save me the brass filings. They look great on wood (using Epoxy with it) or you can get crushed stone or other similar stuff from vendors. Check out CSUSA.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 7:15pm

I just started using the key filings also.  Works nicely with CA glue.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 7:19pm

Leo,
on small inclusions right I don't think it would last on large ones due to it gets brittle with age???

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 10:35pm

Bert,

To mix and fill cracks check out Hobby Lobby for The fine touch palette knife.  They work pretty good.  I see that they now sell a five piece set for around 6 bucks.  The one that I use most has a 1/2" wide blade near the handle and tapers to a point.  You can use the wider spot for wider cracks and the point to force whatever filler into the crack or use the point for a narrow crack.  Hopes this helps.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 11:09pm

I've come to dislike using CA, even as a base for making my own filler, much the same as you have.  So I avoid using that concoction as much as possible.  I have had some success making fine dust of the debris that collects during the turning process by grinding the debris in a coffee/spice grinder.  They're fairly inexpensive so dedicating on to this process (I wouldn't use it for grinding edible products after using it for grinding wood chips, dust, of course) requires no great cash outlay.  I use VERY fine dust mixed with epoxy (heavy on the dust, light on the epoxy) and work it into cracks and crevices with any tool that works best for the particular job.  Toothpicks, dental tools, artists spatula, etc.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 11:57pm

Great tips all...if you know of any more, please enlighten me.

...bert

Quote:
I've come to dislike using CA, even as a base for making my own filler, much the same as you have.  So I avoid using that concoction as much as possible.  I have had some success making fine dust of the debris that collects during the turning process by grinding the debris in a coffee/spice grinder.  They're fairly inexpensive so dedicating on to this process (I wouldn't use it for grinding edible products after using it for grinding wood chips, dust, of course) requires no great cash outlay.  I use VERY fine dust mixed with epoxy (heavy on the dust, light on the epoxy) and work it into cracks and crevices with any tool that works best for the particular job.  Toothpicks, dental tools, artists spatula, etc.  

...Bert

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 5:05am

Bert check these out.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2008 at 5:14am by Chuck Beland »  

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 8:56am

Those are cool...thanks for that!

...bert

...Bert

IP Logged

Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 9:58am

When I had gap in a segmented ring I mixed epoxy with a drop of "Mixol" dye of the appropriate color and filled the gap. When turned and finished, you can't tell where the gap was.

Dennis

IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 2:41pm

I haven't tried it yet, but I've wondered for some time if those ladies pancake makeup products sold at the drug store could be used as a base for crack filler.  Will they mix with epoxy?  Anyone want to try it and give us a report?

IP Logged

Mark Rich

Sawdust Therapy

Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 2:59pm

What brand of epoxy do you guys use ?

Mark

Mark Rich Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 3:48pm

I have Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Registerfrom Woodcraft. & small bottles of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register not sure of the name.

Chuck

The red words are a link to the web page.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2008 at 3:54pm by Chuck Beland »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print