WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Re: 2018 sales
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 2:18pm

Just few. As you see, nothing crazy complicated.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:45pm

Thanks StefanoBastianelli  Thumbs Up
Very nice, I like the winged bowl the most of what you posted.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 5:09pm

A few of my craft show sales.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Frank Padden

WR Rocks!

Hudson, Massachusetts, USA
Hudson
Massachusetts
USA

Nova 16"
Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:07pm

I'm very lucky, I do all my sales in a high end jewelry store and the owner doesn't want any part of the sales. She gives me prime space in her store all year long. 2018 was my best year yet. Bowls were very steady most of the year. Snowmen and Christmas trees sold very well in December. I'm hoping for another good year. Good luck to all in 2019!!!!!

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:59pm

Hey Frank, That's great. I have checked a few places and they want 50%. I also have a friend that rented a space at a craft mall and was very disappointing. I have some direct orders but seems like it's hard to beat doing it the hard way.
My high end is 150 (per) for resin and wood mills. I may sell a half a dozen but sell more boxes in the 40 price range. I have one lady that has purchased 28 mills in two years from me. She did 12 this Christmas. lol We have to remember sometimes less can be more.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #20 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 6:56pm

This black lacquered mill started with a top that I just wasn't happy with. It set on the shelf for about 3 months before I pulled it and took it home to experiment. This was my first attempt at casting and turning resin and I was mostly pleased with the result. I took it back to the gift shop and it sold the following day. Even better than that, the woman who bought it contacted me and wants another with a different color top and a salt mechanism.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:25pm

Nice turn, Richard. I make a lot of resin mills and sell well.
What price point do you have to be on this kind of mill?
Lee

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #22 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 10:34pm

Are you casting these resin blanks or buying them.  Can you post some example pics Lee.  I started doing resin castings but nothing that big largest was some bottle stoppers.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 10:58am

I originally had it priced at $80 before the resin top and $120 with the resin.  Considering that the blank itself was soft maple that came from a big box of cutoffs that I got at a garage sale for $5, I thought the price wasn't bad. Overall my pricing is determined by what I pay for an individual blank and what the market will bear. I could probably price most of my mills a bit higher but that comes at the risk of slower sales. In my particular situation I move more mills than not and I'm seeing a decent profit from it. That's not to say I don't have some pricey mills on the shelf.

I have for the most part stopped using exotics. Purpleheart, Padauk, Bloodwood and the other colored woods end up losing their color in the end and not worth the expense. Some exotics though sell well because of their grain patterns like Bocote. My fastest selling mills seem to be Big Leaf Maple. Lately all the blanks have some very nice figure, color contrasts and some spalting.

Working with casting resins is not an inexpensive endeavor and there is somewhat of a learning curve to it. Plus, at the $160 price tag for the 3 liter kit I bought (2:1 mix ratio) it is way too expensive to experiment with. I got lucky with that first top in it's final form but as I was turning it my first thought was just how much resin was being turned away. The square mold I made was probably a bit too big and when poured took approx. 8 oz of resin and I probably turned approx half away. At about $1.50+ an ounce, that's a lot of money on the floor.

Since making that top I have turned another top like it out of scraps from my designer firewood pile and made a silicone mold of it. Yet another expense. Now, any future tops can be poured into the mold, allowed to cure and put on the lathe and finished without any waste.

I have poured another top since making that mold. It took about half as much resin as the first one I made, just slightly over 4 oz. However, in curing, all the air bubbles that were in the mix didn't off gas and they are noticeable in the top. Fail.

Of course, there is a fix to this problem as well. More money!! Another couple hundred bucks will get you a vacuum pump and chamber to off gas all the air bubbles BEFORE pouring the resin. Since, the next top came out perfect and without the noticeable air bubbles.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #24 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 12:46pm

Here's another mill with epoxy. This hickory blank had a huge bark inclusion in it as well as being borderline too punky to turn. I don't particularly like this body shape but I wanted to keep as much of the inclusion as possible without turning more of it away with another shape. In the end it sold rather quickly but I wasn't happy with the overall sanding finish of the wood. It had a lot of soft spots that wouldn't sand out and to my eye were noticeable. This was an 8" mill that sold for $100

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #25 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 1:04pm

Dont get a vacuum pump and chamber make a pressure pot.  I made one from a paint pot i got from harbor freight.  I think it was $80 something after a 20% coupon.  All it takes to convert it is a couple air line fittings and a pressure gauge.  Vacuum chambers attempt to pull all the air out of the resin were pressure pots compress the bubbles until they are so small you cant see them.  Once the resin cures under pressure they never come back.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #26 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 1:07pm

Art fair wise this has been a good year for us (my wife also turns as well).  My wife's big sellers are pendant ($25-$35) and natural edge bowls ($50 - $160).  The NE bowls with turquoise in them are really big among the women.  For me the big sellers are bowls with pyrography and fractal burning ($125 -$200). Also, I was fortunate enough to get some NIP this fall and those bowls sold like hot cakes ($150 - $250).  My HF are also a big seller for me, especially those that have voids and bark inclusions ($250 - $500).  Sales last year at the gallery I'm in were down quite a bit, but I think part of that is that I sold a lot of my new really nice pieces at the art fairs.

I agree with Dave in that I expect a minimum of $1000/day for us to consider a show to be a good show.

We have decided for 2019 to cut back to about 10 or 11 shows.  Fourteen was just too many.  It made it hard to make new items for upcoming shows.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #27 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 7:40am

Richard, Have you tried putting the filled mold in the vac chamber to outgas?

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #28 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:33am

I doubt that would work given the shape of the mold and how much the resin expands when off gassing.

After using a friends vac chamber and pressure pot to see the difference, I'm going to get HF pressure pot. Less expenditure in the end.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 2:37pm

In my mills I try to use about 50% wood and the rest Alumilite resin. My pours are usually about 43 oz. and yes a lot is on the floor but that's in the price of the mill. The resin is about 28 bucks and the Crush Grind another 14. I come out with 110 usually. I use a 5 gal. pressure pot on it's side because my molds are 12". I have the hours down on making them to about 5. I wish I could sell for more but the price point at my shows wouldn't take it. A higher end show  they would but then again they cost much more entry and you will lose a couple more mills to cover that cost.
Funny, people won't even look at my all wood mills.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print